• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Multiple House Boat Camping Spot?

Hi All!

The extended family and I are planning on heading up next year for a houseboat outing. When I say extended, that entails renting 3-4 houseboats. Does anyone know if there is such a thing a campgroud suitable to house 3 or 4 houseboats, 4 or so fishing boats and 20+ people? OR is there a few houseboat campgrounds really close together that could also suit our needs? We would ideally like to be east of the Bruele (usually stay on Finlander), but would entertain other ideas.

Thanks!

Ben

There are a number of sites in Saginaw Bay that I've seen multiple houseboats at. I have seen 3 of the big Lady of the Lake boats from Rainy Lake Houseboats in Anderson Bay as well. It is pretty hard to find a good spot where 20 people can all be out mingling and walking around. Depending on whether you'll be mostly fishing or "houseboating" will determine how important a spot like that is.

With fishing boats, I would recommend tying them directly to the parked houseboats with bumpers to protect them and the stern facing shore. It will be difficult to tie fishing boats up with that many houseboats in the same area.

Saginaw has a number of fairly close sites if you were to split up. You will also have to take into account what time of the year you'll be up as far as how full the sites are.

I don't know if I really helped much but that's all I got. Good luck!

Not too much to add, F&F did a great job of summing it up.

It is possible to park multiple houseboats at a site, but most sites are not going to be accomodating for a group that size. Like F&F said, there will not be too much room for fishing boats, etc. with three houseboats side by side. Anderson comes to mind as the one place where I have seen multiple houseboats together.

If you were to split up, My best advice would be to look at the three sites just inside the kempton channel, the sites on the east side of big island, or there are even enough sites close in the duckfoot/finlander/saginaw area to accomodate your groups needs.

Take Care AnyLake!! grin.gif

Anylake,

This area is within Voyageurs National Park and certain regulations apply. I would call the Rainy Lake Vistor Center at 218-286-5258 and get them to send you some Park information. I know that there is a limit to the number of houseboats at a developed site (2) and so if you have more than that you may have to split the group or moor at an undeveloped sites. If you talk to one of the Park Rangers that work the area they can fill you in on specifics. I am sure that you have a fun trip, this is a great area.

-Duckster

Thanks for the information. I will check with the places you mentioned!