Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

First snow of the season pool

30 posts in this topic

Anyone care to start a pool on the first measureable snowfall?

Im going with Nov 9th.

(Wade I cleaned up your post a bit to be more user friendly sort to say. E-mail me with any questions. Northlander)

Im going with November 22nd. I hope its only a dusting. I want soom good cold ice making weather before we get any measurable snow. Northlander

No takers?

I think first measurable ice on fish lake would be more interesting. I also think the prize should be non-alcohol related so our under 21 FMers can jump in.

just a suggestion.

(I agree Quick. Northlander)

Ok, no problem. But I preffer snow on the ground before ice gets made...then a period of no snow with good cold weather to make good clear ice.

How about a six pack of "beverage of winners choice"

november 10

Nov. 3 for deer season. Its been a few years since we had snow for opener.

I hope we have a little of the white stuff on the ground for rifle opener. I will be optimistic and say Nov. 1, but then we don't need any until we get that good blue ice going so I can start chasing lakers and crappies. Also can't have freeze up be too early though so I can still duck hunt in Nov. I'm a hard guy to please!

I pick this wed. thats what the forecats said grin.gif

We atre talking measurable snow. I doubt anything soon will be able to measure.

Doubting about measurable snow Steve-O? Come on man. We live in the North. We got our's last week don't ya remember? Oh yeah, you were'nt there. We were up in Saskatchewan. Snow . . Geese that is. Picture's to come soon grin.gif BC

Ya I know we could have it before Holloween. Im just hoping we dont get too much.

work for the weather in DSM iowa,,,--- you will get snow and measureable at that--- maybe a inch or two-- as even Iowa will get some frozen mix come thurs. The ground is still warm-- but with temps in the 20's,, it will gather on grassy areas etc. Thurs-Fri it may not climb above 32F as far south as Hinkley-Brainerd- line.

Could change--- but right now this air mass is looking pretty cold mid-OCT.

Muddy

well it is going to be this week they say??? shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif.

I still doubt what we get around here will be "Measurable". I think the ground is still too warm to let what we get sit around too long.

Heck I still have to mow my grass 1 last time. mad.gif

Yeah, I do too, just to mulch the leaves. I don't rake. The way I figure it, if God didn't want 'em on the ground, he wouldn't have put them there.

I still say we only get 1-2" and none of it will stay long at all. It will be too wet. Now Ashland and south could get hammered.

Looked outside a few minutes ago and there is white stuff on the ground. Not much just enough to cover the grass. Not mentally prepared for this frown.gif

I'll be putting the plow on this morning! tongue.gif

THIS IS TOURTURE!!!!! frown.giffrown.gifDeer are moving and im sitting in class up at the college. i need to winterize my boat yet or at least put it in the garage but hopefully that only takes 2 hrs so then i can skip my last class for a 1pm t odark stand sit!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif OR SHOULD I GO FOR THE NORTHENR DUCKS???!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifblush.gifblush.gif

When in doubt go fishing grin.gif

We just got a light dusting here overnight, and now the sun's shining. Go figure.

Just Rain in Superior and Duluth.

1/4 inch on the ground and still comming. Doesn't look to stop until tomorrow.

I just got new tires put on ...let it snow ....I will still be able to pull my self up the boat ramp when icecycles form on the prop

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes.

Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.

Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!

• eyeguy 54

Posted

212 wondering the same thing maybe?? ;)   

• Agronomist_at_IA

Posted

• CigarGuy

Posted

I got 4 nice ones last Friday in about 8' to 9' of water in a channel off Wakemup Bay .  It was the last hour of daylight.  Tried a couple times during the day Saturday and right before dark and struck out.

• 11 hours ago, BringAnExtension said:

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
      • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
      • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

You should definitely try Devils lake I went 3 years ago and had a blast. Not only did we get put on a good perch bite but they put us on an Insane walleye bite the guy said it was about an hour window from when the sun starting setting and boy was he right in that hour I caught walleye after walleye after walleye. As soon as I would start reeling one up another mark would take its place on my graph and I couldn't get my lure down fast enough.

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

I usually go to red 3-4 times a year and last year we did go to red for our work trip as well. Just weighing the options.

Has anyone ever rented house from Arties bait on big stone?

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

I don't know what to say, we crushed em jigging in 30 feet last Friday while getting knocked around in the waves. Anchored up and never moved. Lots of boats on the river already then and not good reports at that point. I was going to go back up for Saturday and if I did I would go straight out to 30 feet again. 

• delcecchi

Posted

Gee, think things might be rigged?  Got to be there in person to bid.  Maybe they would get a better price if bidding were on line?  Of course that would inhibit the buddy system.  Make it inconvenient to bid, get lower bids, make the in crowd happy. 

• yomammy

Posted

Anyone sniffing any fall-pattern crappies??   Have they found the way to the basin-areas or nearby the basin areas ?   Thanks 

• Thanks friends, much better luck today, but worked pretty hard. 30-35' rainbows kept two 15's and a 16. Dog will get her allotment of a 1/4 filet for her time on the boat and able to save some in the freezer for my family!!!

• ZachD
      If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes. Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.   Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind
    • fins_n'_feathers
      Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!
    • eyeguy 54
      212 wondering the same thing maybe??      
    • Agronomist_at_IA
      Wow 212 views no response?
    • CigarGuy
      I got 4 nice ones last Friday in about 8' to 9' of water in a channel off Wakemup Bay .  It was the last hour of daylight.  Tried a couple times during the day Saturday and right before dark and struck out.