• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trailer relay--2001 Dodge Ram

Huskie

Question

Had the trailer lights go out this week end on a fishing trip. No power to the trailer, checked all of the fuses, all were good. Does anyone know if there is an inline fuse somewhere by the mopar plug in on this truck? Thought a short in the trailer lights may have blown a fuse.

7 answers to this question

Did you check the fuse box under the hood? I believe that there is a fuse for trailer lights in this fuse box. Could be wrong, but check it out.

Had the fuses under the hood checked at a shop on the way, they were all okay, thats where the mystery begins!!!

Huskie

Kind of funny this should come up (not really funny). I just had the same problem, 2004 1500 Ram except it was only the left brake, blinker light. I spent the better part of a day under the truck to try and find the problem. I had checked the plug and the problem was from the truck side. I then checked the fuses and all were OK. I didn’t want to tap into the truck wires under the truck because I didn’t want to take the chance of loosing my truck brake lights, which still worked. New trucks have too many safety, convenience features that may get screwed up.

I ended up taking it to a Dodge dealer and $150.00 later they said I had a BO module that’s located under the hood. $400.00 later and two weeks of waiting for a very expensive part it was fixed. Total bill $550.00.

It was much cheaper when you just cut into wires and had lights for your trailer.

Doesn't sound too funny to me, I'd sell the dang truck!!!!! I hope this is not a similar problem, will let you know what I found out.

I had the exact problem too! My vehicle is a 96 acura slx. (basically a Isuzu Trooper dressed up) For me it was the wire harness that contected to the factory plug(5 wires) and converted into a normal four prong plug. There is a little box inline underneath the vehicle that I guess can fry out. It has happened to me and a freind of mine. If that is what it is it is an easy fix, and cheap too $21. Not sure if that is your problem but I thought I would throw it out there. Good luck!!

Okay. I think that may be it, I had power ahead of that inline box and not to the factory plug. Then I have a converter from 5 round to a 4 flat plugged into that. Will need to check that out, did you do it yourself or bring it in?