Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brad0383

Metro walleyes

12 posts in this topic

OK, I will warn you before hand, this is a rant. I have been fishing walleyes for years in North Dakota, Lake Sakakawea. I have to admit I believe that any day of the year (yes, ND has no closed season) I can get walleyes in North Dakota. I have recently started fishing around the metro area for some walleyes. I haven't even seen anybody with a walleye. I used to think that Minnesota was the walleye capital but I really am second guessing that. I understand that going "Up North" will produce some walleye action, but who has time to drive a few hours for a day trip? I have tried everything from lindys to spinners to cranks, minnows, crawlers, leeches, jigging, trolling, casting, drifting...what gives? Anyone out there care to help out someone looking for some walleyes in the south metro?

Try below the ford dam on the mississsippi in about three weeks. I have had 20 fish afternoons out there last year about that time.

Quote:

OK, I will warn you before hand, this is a rant. I have been fishing walleyes for years in North Dakota, Lake Sakakawea. I have to admit I believe that any day of the year (yes, ND has no closed season) I can get walleyes in North Dakota. I have recently started fishing around the metro area for some walleyes. I haven't even seen anybody with a walleye. I used to think that Minnesota was the walleye capital but I really am second guessing that. I understand that going "Up North" will produce some walleye action, but who has time to drive a few hours for a day trip? I have tried everything from lindys to spinners to cranks, minnows, crawlers, leeches, jigging, trolling, casting, drifting...what gives? Anyone out there care to help out someone looking for some walleyes in the south metro?

I've had some fair walleye action on Lake Riley in Eden Prairie. I'm no expert, but one thing I have learned is that most of the walleyes around here have spend some of their childhood months in shallow weedy rearing ponds. These fish are more likely to spend their lives in the weeds then their naturally reproduced cousins in say Mille Lacs or Sakakawea. Instead of trolling rocky breaklines or humps, I've heard of guys having great success by pitching baits within a foot of the millfoil edge. Just my 2 cents.

is there anywhere in the south metro where i would have a chance of catching walleyes or anything for that matter from shore? i am new to the area, have no boat, and C&R only.. just looking for some good fishing

Like was said before, there are plenty of walleyes to be had in the metro, they just arent in the places you would expect them to be in. I have on lake, where when we came off of it on opener of this year people shore fishing near the boat launch for northerns were shocked that there were actually walleyes in the lake.

Quote:

Quote:

I've had some fair walleye action on Lake Riley in Eden Prairie. I'm no expert, but one thing I have learned is that most of the walleyes around here have spend some of their childhood months in shallow weedy rearing ponds. These fish are more likely to spend their lives in the weeds then their naturally reproduced cousins in say Mille Lacs or Sakakawea. Instead of trolling rocky breaklines or humps, I've heard of guys having great success by pitching baits within a foot of the millfoil edge. Just my 2 cents.

I'll 2nd that. That is very true to what I have been experiencing and have been doing. I have eyes as large as 25" hit a husky jerk minnow in 2ft of water near weedy/milfoil edges. They are feeding shallow. If there is a drop off nearby the shore it makes it even better.

Metro walleyes especially the big ones will be snuggled into the weeds and very shallow. They also do not school up or congregate on textbook walleye spots. Stocked walleyes act very different. They cruise the weed edges. Think husky jerks and trolling or casting floating Raps over weed flats. I get as shallow as 4 to 6ft. Key on any area with current and a weed edge. Or like the other post said Pool 2 can be dynamite for walleyes. Those are natural fish so all the usual river walleye tactics will work.

This is some great info guys (and gals). Thank you very much, I never thought about stocked fish acting different than natural fish. Keep the tips coming!

I have caught walleyes along weed edges in the metro area, fishing with a slip bobber and minnow with a plain hook. Most people that troll by probaly think I am fishing for pan fish, little do they know that the walleyes are relating to the weed edge/line. It is not the most exciting way to fish, but once the bobber goes down, it gets really fun. You may have to feed the perch now and then, but eventually the walleyes will show up. Good luck and don't give up yet. The best fishing is still to come.

I really dont know if I agree with the stocked fish acting diferently. Its very possible they are more weed prone, but all the walleyes in Minneapolis like the weeds, that includes fish that are natural reproduction.

Since milfoil took over the lakes, all the baitfish are using the weeds for cover and its very rare you find schools of bait anywhere far from the weeds. I still get fish deep during off feeding hours, they just seem to push into the weedlines at feeding time.

Natural fish or not, they are going to be where the forage is if they want to eat. The trick is to find the feeding time. If someone can tell my why the most productive walleye hour is 3 pm in the middle of august on hot days in relatively clear water... the answer to that question might be more important than figuring where to find walleyes in the weeds.

The only thing I can think of is the forage(shiners in my case) is heading into the weeds for shade/cover on the sunny days and the fish take advantage of it.

If you are fishing the river systems they are very similar to what you are used to fishing Brad in ND. I was anyway, you just have to try everything you got in your tackle box and tomorrow you will try that same thing and it will be something different. It certainly keeps things interesting.

Quote:

I really dont know if I agree with the stocked fish acting diferently. Its very possible they are more weed prone, but all the walleyes in Minneapolis like the weeds, that includes fish that are natural reproduction.

Since milfoil took over the lakes, all the baitfish are using the weeds for cover and its very rare you find schools of bait anywhere far from the weeds. I still get fish deep during off feeding hours, they just seem to push into the weedlines at feeding time.

Natural fish or not, they are going to be where the forage is if they want to eat. The trick is to find the feeding time. If someone can tell my why the most productive walleye hour is 3 pm in the middle of august on hot days in relatively clear water... the answer to that question might be more important than figuring where to find walleyes in the weeds.

The only thing I can think of is the forage(shiners in my case) is heading into the weeds for shade/cover on the sunny days and the fish take advantage of it.

Walleyes don't neccessary follow schools of fish to feed or forage. It really depends on the type of lake or river. Are you even sure of what kind of forage they are feeding on? In a pond or smaller lake where there is no specific forage a wally could be feeding on small pannies, insects & frogs. Cruising the shallow weedlines to feed...

I don't believe a stock fish will act all that differently from a naturally born one. It just all depends on the type of body of water their in. You simply cannot apply a technique what works for one lake or river to the other and hope for the same results. The structure is all different and applying unorthodox techniques can work well.