Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastfan

Whiteface or Island

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys- Just wondering how the bite has been on Whiteface or Island lately. My Dad is coming "up north" this weekend and I'd like to get him on some eyes if possible. I spend most of my time fishing the river for smallies so any help on presentation, structure, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

I got 5 nice keeper sized eyes and a few pike on Island a few days back. also got a few dinky eyes and perch. Couldnt get the Crappies to go though. All my sizable eyes came trolling a blueberry muffin reffrunner in 16-26' of water. West end.

It seems the fish love those cranks or big minnows this time a year. I will have to head up to island

If the eyes are not biting... I am still getting pike action on island. Enough to have to replenish my spinnerbaits for the spring:-).

After I put the big boat to sleep in the AM, I got my two oldest boys (5 & 7) out for a few hours on Island Lake Sat afternoon. They both jigged up their first walleyes ever. Nothing big, but we picked up about 15 walleyes and two rock bass in about 3 hours. Due to their ages, we lost a lot of fish, and I dealt with a lot of tangles. By the end of the day, they were hooking their own minnows, albeit some of the minnows had jig hooks through their bellies and not in the head.

It made for a nice, memorable evening. Besides, we were all by ourselves out there.

smile.gif

I spent some time on Island on Sunday afternoon (10-1). Spanked the walleyes on the main lake near the HWY 4 bridge. Fish were in 30 FOW in the main channel. Lots of 10 inchers, but found some 14 & 15 inchers mixed in. It was the perfect fall day, even stopped on an Island for a shore lunch. I even talked the wife into going which is about a once every 5 year occurrence. I wish I was off work today.

Thanks for the info guys. We hit Island on Sat and all started well but as the day went on the wind picked up, we lost all but 1st gear on the trolling motor, and found we only had a 8lb anchor with. Needless to say drifting was our only option (even with anchor down). We did manage a couple fish though. Whiteface on Sunday was a bit better as we ran into some crappie while being blown around. All in all a good weekend of fishing as I got to spend a lot of time with the old man just shootin the poop, enjoying the fall colors.

Thanks again,

bs