Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otter

Restaurant in Deer River...

5 posts in this topic

How is food at the big restaurant on the south side of Hwy 2 in Deer River? It was awful when it was Shay's, but it looks like there are new owners. Is it the same people who owned the River City Diner across the street? Anyone know why River City was torn down? Food at River City was good for a while and then seemed to hit the skids.

Haven't ate at the new place yet. Shay's did get really bad as time went on. Not sure about the owners. They didn't tear down River Town diner. It was moved across the street and turned into a some kind of shop... Thats what I heard anyways.

Shay's is now Shelly's, new owner's and pretty good food. The River Town Diner was moved across the street and is now the new Deer River Service garage. I think it's Woodland Bank going in where the Diner used to be. For awesome pizza, go north on Hwy 6 about 2 miles north of town and stop in at Blueberry Bowl.

Brian

Before we moved up here, the place that became Shay's was owned by a young gal who made the best hot beef sandwiches that I ever ate. She apparently couldn't make a go of it, because it became Shay's. That burned down shortly after they took possession (I would not sell fire insurance to restaurants in northern Minnestota). The food was never good and got worse with the passage of time. We shifted patronage to River City Diner, which started good and then declined, and is now apparently is now a thing of the past. Speaking of ancient history, if anyone remembers Roy and Dot's in Cohasset, and is interested, I will make a post about that one.

BMC sent us to the blueberry bowl and he was right they do have real good pizza.

BMC you still fishen or huntin now?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Stick in Mud

Posted

We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year. 

Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.

• Stick in Mud

Posted

Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. :)

Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 

• if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

• FrazerBay

Posted

Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.   

Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it. 

• jigginjim

Posted

I have put my guide clients on lots of pike this summer. So far largest bass is 21"- 5lbs  Pike 36" Approx. 8-9lbs, Walleye is 23 inches 3lbs. The walleyes will get better as the water cools. Time to start jigging, everything you got. I'm even started using my crankbaits.

• bassbouncer

Posted

I'm a local and yes we boycott the place. Friends have been told that they aren't wanted there that they only want the tourist business. Wife and I boat to Wolf Bay when we go out. We live 2 miles from the landing and wish it was still run by Jack.

• RoosterMan

Posted

Well I made a decision to put the trolling rods away and go do some jigging.   It seemed to be a good one.  I concentrated on rocky transition areas.  I had three slot fish in an hour.  Went back in for some VC pizza and picked my kids up and went back out for a evening trolling run and that produced as well.  You have to love this lake.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this
    • CigarGuy

Posted

We have friends up and they wanted to take us out for dinner, via the boat.  With the wind, the only place was the landing, I tried vetoing It, but lost out.  Had $12.00 burger and fries.  Very good and the service was fast-only 8 others in the dinning area and a few at the bar.  I checked the prices on the wings-$16.00 for 1-1/2lbs.  Del, they had a pretty good burger menu.  I asked about the 20% off deal and the waiter blew me off and said he didn't know anything about it.  I asked who I should talk to, he said the manager or the owner.  We paid the bill and left without asking.  I liked it a few winters ago when they had ,25 wings and 2.00 beers.

• knoppers

Posted

seen enough grouse to keep me interested, lots of turkeys, seems they and the deer are everywhere this fall. did not here much shooting from the duck hunters though.

• Stick in Mud
      We've done OK out there this year. Nothing special, but better for us than last year.  Last time out, we found piles of fish in 60-70 feet. Caught a few, couldn't release them, and stopped fishing them.  Got a couple jig rapping shallower, got a few trolling, and got a few on spinners.  No one pattern got skunked, but nothing stood out, either.
    • Stick in Mud
      Sorry for the late response....I suspect not many folks are building skid houses these days. Our houses have steel skids.  One had wood, but we changed them out. 
    • ZachD
      if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you
    • FrazerBay
      Like the food and like the menu. Like the fact there are places to eat on the lake and will continue to support them.
    • delcecchi
      Thanks, cigar guy.   Might check into it next year.  Or maybe not.   They always used to have some expensive entrees but we just ignored them.    Even 12 for a burger is sort of high for the area, but the view is worth something.   Probably stay with the Crescent.   I don't see how there are enough tourists for the landing to make it.