Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Mini rut?

8 posts in this topic

I have been reading up on this mini Rut deal. Does anyone know a lot about this time? I understand it is when early born does from last year will come into heat earlier than most does. This can be a fun time to hunt. So I hear.

I did not know about this phase until recently. Have any of you hunters seen this?

Any info in what you have seen, if it is real, and when it goes on would be great.

Thanks

I'm not a wildlife biologist by any means, but I have heard of this and not sure if it has merit or not..

If a doe were to be bred early, that would only cause her fawns to be born even earlier the next spring because gestation time would remain the same, and so on...too early in late winters. I think mother nature has installed road blocks to defend against this.

I have seen bucks chasing does as early as late September, however it has always been yearling bucks showing this type of behavior. I think that it is more of the yearling bucks and maybe some mature bucks excitedness over rising testosterone and not knowing what to do with it that is the reason for this. I have also never seen a doe receptive to this behavior..

Like I said though, only my thoughts but please expand on this if you can or anyone else that may know about it.

Stratos--Thats makes alot of sense to me.

Stratos --

Thanks for the reply. I have read a number of articles on this phase and they say it is for real.

I hope someone else out there has either read about it, heard about it or seen it.

Thanks

Hitman

from what i have read. the early rut is real, but only by a few of the old does. supposedly this is natures way of hyping up the bucks so they are very ready for breeding season. the majority of the does come into season 28 days alter.( late oct. thru the middle of november). there is also a late rut. this is from the does that didn't get covered during the main rut, and some of the yearlings does come into season for the first time.( these are many time the does you see next year with only one fawn.) it was said that if you find a hot scrape during this early rut; keep it in mind. this should be one of the main scrapes later.

Sounds good.

I have read that this time period is around the 12th of October?

ive read the exact opposite, that yearling does come into heat later in the season, like the last week of november through the middle of december

They were talking about this on one of the shows on the outdoors channel the other night....they said all their studies show that every young doe go into estrous at different times....it's like humans going through puberty....some are early bloomers some are late.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~
      My live well has an adjustable shut off valve in side for filling and running fresh water. If I don't turn it down to a tickle when I have fish in it, it will over flow into the boat once full because the pump is pumping faster then the overflow can keep up.  Not sure if you have one of them in yours?  I've even had a few big eyes flipping around in there hit the valve open more.
    • BobT
      I believe minnows are a class of fish that remain small throughout their lives. They are part of the food chain and because of their small size we take advantage of their position in the ecosystem and use them for bait. There are exceptions of course but, as an example, for the most part adult golden shiners will typically grow to about 3" - 5" long. Adult fathead minnows will be 2" - 3" long typically. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      If the hoses or hose connections are not leaking check : Live well intake connection, make sure that it is screwed on tight into the transom and that it is sealing. Could be live well splash over also if you are in rough water, but probably not with your type of leak. It may still be leaking rivets as they may not leak unless you put a lot of water inside of the boat. It does sound like you have a bad connection in one of your live well connections! Cliff    
    • Mossy19
      Just wondering if any one will give me pointers on this lake??  Not specific spots.  Going to be at Pocahontas Resort July 1 - July 8th.  I am bass guy for most part but have kids (6 & 4) that love to fish for panfish and want them to keep entertained.  Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks! 
    • Mossy19
      Hello FM family!!  I HAVE A 2000 18.5' Fisher DXV boat and am having problems of water getting into the boat.  I have filled up the bottom of the boat with water to see if something is cracked on the boat itself and have found nothing.  It seems like the only time water comes in is when I use live well pumps. I have a guy replacing all the hoses that would have water going through them to see if one is cracked.  The water that comes in is enough that I have to run the bilge pump about every half and hour.  If I forget to run bilge then I have so much water I can't get up on plane when I take off.  Once the hoses are replaced and water still gets in, what would be my next step??  Cracked livewells??? I have two of them in this boat.  Any ideas??  Thanks!
    • birdguy
      I'm doing a day trip there on Saturday, will post afterwards. I plan to just fish the big basin area humps and points.
    • Poutwhacker
      Just looking for general advice... Taking our grandson on his 1st Rainy Lake boat camping trip, 7/01-7/05. We'll be near Kempton Entrance on the east side. I've been here many times before, but never over the 4th. Plan to target all species, but want 'eyes for supper. Are the walleyes on the reefs yet or still transitioning? Depths? Leeches or minnows? Bass/pike still in shallows? Main goal is to give him some opportunities for some fish. Thanks 'Pout
    • Luttes
      Hay Creek in Red Wing is probably your closest option.  Otherwise the Kinni, Rush, etc, just over the boarder in Wi is a good fishery. 
    • paceman
      I was kind of restless last night so since it was a bit windy I decided to go for a quick trip to a nearby small lake that I rarely go to. Tried lindy rigging leeches but the sunfish were on the chomp! I eventually went to a shallow weed point and marked a bunch of fish. Started pitching small jigs/plastics and absolutely pounded the crappies. I have never in my life caught so many small ones. Lots of 5-7" with the occasional big one 13-14" mixed in... I did not feel like cleaning fish so tossed all back. Should be a phenomenal crappie lake in a couple years...
    • Cheers