• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rut

xedge2002

this is probably a stupid question but this is my first year bowhunting and I was wondering when the rut usually starts?

I have slug hunted for the last 12 years but usually by then it seems like they are either slowing down or hear the first gun shot and the bucks head for the heavy cover.

You will get a lot of answers on what the rut is. Some say it lasts from the end of velvet to when they drop their horns. What most people term the rut is actually the chase phase of the rut. That is when bucks are cruising all over looking for does. That is when you wanna be perched in a tree. It is triggered by decreasing levels of daylight, however, having said that, bucks tend to be more active on colder days. They get overheated on hot days. So if you combine a cool/cold day with the chase phase of the rut, you will likely see multiple bucks per day if you have a decent area. This usually starts in late October and lasts until the early part of Nov. It varys a little by latitude, but is surprisingly similiar year after year in the same area, regardless of weather.

I dont know when exactly it will happen in your area, but hopefully this will give you a little background.

thats a good question...... to me it kinda depends on the area your hunting also. in one of my areas that i hunt, ive seen alot of bucks chasen does already and fighting with other bucks. then in another area ive seen more bucks just hanging around and not chasen does yet. i do believe that the rut will start sooner then it normally does. thats just my 2 cents.

If I am not mistaken the full rut period when the bucks start to breed the does is triggered by the lenght of light of day.

From taking notes over the last 15 years,the mating period starts to really gear up approx the same week every year in my area of North Dakota and that is around the 7-10 of Nov.

Cooler temps will also help with this as they can chase the does without building up alot of body heat.The cooler the better.

How aggressive the bucks get before the rut will also depend on the buck to doe ratio in the area you hunt.

Harv is correct. The rut and its various stages are triggered by the amount of daylight. I am not sure if temperature plays a secondary role or not.. I don't think so however....but I know where I hunt the chase phase kicks into high gear between the last weekend in October untill the first weekend in November.

Typically, daylight or "photoperiodism" is what triggers the TIMING of the rut. However, weather, buck-doe ratio, moon phases, and many other possible factors, are what dictate the INTENSITY of it.

Reguardless, late Oct.- early Nov. be out there, its your best odds.