Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ironman

Decisions decisions

7 posts in this topic

I have a small delema. Not this weekend(opener) but the following, I think I'm going to take an extended weekend for some ducks, now I access and free lodging at two different locations, I'm not sure which would be better. What you you folks do. One is a cabin on a lake north west of Grand Rapids, cant remember the name of the lake..I've never been there but I have permission to use it. The said it's full of wild rice. The other is my Aunt and Uncles farm in Sauk Centre, I've never hunted out that way, but I know there is plenty of water and with my Uncles contacts maybe even a chance at some fields. What to do what to do? Your opinions are extremely valued.

What's the duck report at each? grin.gif

That IS a tough decision! Personally, I like Grand Rapids area and I would go with the cabin. I guess it depends what information you have of the lake(s), if it has a history of good hunting, etc. If not, you never know what your going to get.

If all fails you could go fishing in GR.

Maybe someone like Bushwacker can put his $.02 about hunting the Sauk Rapids area. grin.gif

Ironman, I would vote for going 'up nort', I have seen lots of local clutches and I have heard of good numbers of early migraters on area lakes, mainly ringers. The rice crop this year is great, nice thick stands. And if you fill early(ha-ha), you can grouse hunt or fish.

Hey Ironman,

Who are your Aunt and Uncle? I live in Sauk Centre and have Sauk Lake on one side of my house and a small pond on the other, just in the past 4 days the ducks have really started showing up. All mallards though, that I have seen, the woodies that were flying a couple weeks ago are now non-existent as far as I see. This has been one of the worst early season goose years in the past couple around here too. I have no idea why, but the numbers are just not as they usually are in the area. I would actually head north if it were up to me if the trip was going to take place in the next couple weeks. Later in the year it could be really good around here, but from the DU banquet last night in Sauk, the reports are not looking very good for opener. I am personally heading 45 miles north to give it a shot on Saturday and 90 miles north on Sunday. Good luck and if you decide on Sauk Centre it would be nice to meet another fellow FMer.

Yeah..I'm thinking up nort might be the way to go for early season anyways. I can always head to Sauk anytime later when the migrants start showing up. Dont feel right putting to much info out there but my My Aunt and Uncle's first names are Dora and Andy, if you know them that should be enough. The other good part about the northern MN area is if they aren't using that lake there is only another couple thousand around to check out. Thanks for the input! Any scouting reports from either local are greatly appreciated.

Dora was my Sunday school teacher when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade!!!

Small world.