Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ironman

Decisions decisions

7 posts in this topic

I have a small delema. Not this weekend(opener) but the following, I think I'm going to take an extended weekend for some ducks, now I access and free lodging at two different locations, I'm not sure which would be better. What you you folks do. One is a cabin on a lake north west of Grand Rapids, cant remember the name of the lake..I've never been there but I have permission to use it. The said it's full of wild rice. The other is my Aunt and Uncles farm in Sauk Centre, I've never hunted out that way, but I know there is plenty of water and with my Uncles contacts maybe even a chance at some fields. What to do what to do? Your opinions are extremely valued.

What's the duck report at each? grin.gif

That IS a tough decision! Personally, I like Grand Rapids area and I would go with the cabin. I guess it depends what information you have of the lake(s), if it has a history of good hunting, etc. If not, you never know what your going to get.

If all fails you could go fishing in GR.

Maybe someone like Bushwacker can put his $.02 about hunting the Sauk Rapids area. grin.gif

Ironman, I would vote for going 'up nort', I have seen lots of local clutches and I have heard of good numbers of early migraters on area lakes, mainly ringers. The rice crop this year is great, nice thick stands. And if you fill early(ha-ha), you can grouse hunt or fish.

Hey Ironman,

Who are your Aunt and Uncle? I live in Sauk Centre and have Sauk Lake on one side of my house and a small pond on the other, just in the past 4 days the ducks have really started showing up. All mallards though, that I have seen, the woodies that were flying a couple weeks ago are now non-existent as far as I see. This has been one of the worst early season goose years in the past couple around here too. I have no idea why, but the numbers are just not as they usually are in the area. I would actually head north if it were up to me if the trip was going to take place in the next couple weeks. Later in the year it could be really good around here, but from the DU banquet last night in Sauk, the reports are not looking very good for opener. I am personally heading 45 miles north to give it a shot on Saturday and 90 miles north on Sunday. Good luck and if you decide on Sauk Centre it would be nice to meet another fellow FMer.

Yeah..I'm thinking up nort might be the way to go for early season anyways. I can always head to Sauk anytime later when the migrants start showing up. Dont feel right putting to much info out there but my My Aunt and Uncle's first names are Dora and Andy, if you know them that should be enough. The other good part about the northern MN area is if they aren't using that lake there is only another couple thousand around to check out. Thanks for the input! Any scouting reports from either local are greatly appreciated.

Dora was my Sunday school teacher when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade!!!

Small world.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

• Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time!

Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)!

Cliff

• dairyman

Posted (edited)

what size screen does your new unit have----------------I have a 5 inch helix with side imaging and for me it worthless-------------------the screen is TOO small to see whats going on.  I wouldn't buy any unit that didn't have at least a 7 inch screen.  What unit is your new one??

Edited by dairyman
    • dairyman

Posted

I've got a powerdrive also...............my unit would run fine out of water,in water no way.  The prop would barely turn.  I ended up replacing the board the unit and it runs like champ now.  I had it to a dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with it----------but ,they only bench tested it and did not do a tank test

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

Fished Thursday in 30 feet out of the gap and did very well. Couple of slots and a couple of dinks but mostly nice keeper size fish, had to quit early in the day because we had all our fish. Should only get better from here on out I would think. 

• RoosterMan

Posted

Feels like fall this morning!  I was yesterday morning with my son. We did some trolling and it was really good.  I think I might try to get the jigging rods out today and give that a go.  First headed to see the wolves with the kids.  

• monstermoose78

Posted

Wide awake!!! So excited I am for Finn's first duck opener!!! He is snoring like a chain saw.  I will post from the field

• ZachD
      she's getting big
    • delcecchi
      Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 
    • monstermoose78
      No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood.  Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job. Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 
    • MattL
      Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards.     
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time! Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)! Cliff