• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse around the metro

ZDavidMiller

Where would you say the closest area worth hunting around the metro area be. I am new to the sport and I believe I am not the only one interested in the answer. Thank you for your time and response.

I would have to say that I don't know of any area around the metro that would produce grouse. You have to at least drive 1-1.5 hours north to get into grouse country in my opinion. There are areas southeast near winona that have some good grouse hunting although I have never hunted in that area there are people I have talked to that have.

What is worth hunting? I have found the occasional grouse near Elk River while Pheasant hunting but wouldn't consider it a huntable population. There are areas around Mille Lacs that hold a fair number of birds, as does the woods north of Mora. I would say you need to get about 90 miles from the Metro to have a good chance at seeing multiple birds. I have heard that during up years St. Croix will have some, but I know that area gets hit pretty hard. Good luck.

there are okay nbr grouse up east of pine city to st croix river.. i havent went there for long time but last time i went there me and my dad shot 3 grouse up there..

Thank you all very much. They are a blast to hunt, and I would like to get out and do it again sometime soon. I am pretty new to this and am not sure how to go about it real well. Where would the best public area around Brainerd or the Mille Lacs area be? And what kind of cover are they in this time of year, or what should I look for and walk. Thank you all for your responses once again.

I hunt the Mille Lacs/Brainerd/Mora/Crosby/Aitkin area pretty hard while I'm in the area for work, or visiting family. I would pick up a PRIM map from the DNR for the Mille Lacs and Mora areas. Don't buy the St. Cloud map, it's worthless, as is the hunting...

Pine City and just North of Mora would be your best bet in my opinion. It's nice and close, only about 1.5 hours, and you'll get into some birds.

Pick a piece of public land, state, WMA, forfeited, etc.. that contains a mix of younger poplar and as well as some aged birch, poplar, or pine. These areas are typically good. If you drive down a logging trail with some poplar and good undergrowth mixed in, get out, walk through the thick of it, and shoot!

Good luck!

I hunted the "area" NE of Millaca yesterday. Never even heard a grouse. saw two little brown birds, got one. What's the deal there? I thought counts where way up? Am I just too early? The area I walked have been fairly good in past years. Nothing doing so far this year. tongue.gif

Thank you very much for all of the information. I have family in Pine City, so I will try that out this weekend. I will let you all know how I did. If anyone is interested in tagging along let me know. Thank you.

I have shot many grouse from Hugo to Milaca to Pine City.

I will say that all the development has resulted in less land available and more hunting pressure on public land. More people live and hunt the public land in these areas then 10 years ago. Although I believe that half or more of these hunters are bow hunting deer.

Weekday afternoon hunt 10 years ago - never saw another vehicle. Now 1 in two spots have trucks at the gate by 3PM. I usually move on.

Birds are deeper because of the increased pressure - really need a good dog to hunt close to cities. Still it is nicer to hunting with the dog rather than driving another hour.