Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Commanche Jim

Planning a trip Oct. 13-15.....any advise?

7 posts in this topic

Possibly driving up from Chicago for my first fall Mille Lacs walleye trip. I plan on staying at Izatys with a buddy. He'll be fishing out of his boat, and I'll be in my 621. Couple of questions:

Should I worry about the waves in a 621?

As long as I have a good navionics or hotspots chip, should I have to worry about running any unmarked reefs?

What kind of baits should I think about bringing up?

We're planning on trolling at night for the walleyes.......but I'm a muskie guy. How is the muskie fishing this time of year........do I spend my days going after a 40 pounder, or should I sleep in and concentrate on the night eyes?

Thanks for any help you can give.

How about those White Sox? grin.gif

Haven't heard too much from ya this year. Love to hear some of your insight in the baseball forum. grin.gif

AS far as Mille Lacs. There are bunches of posts up that you can look back at, but

You'll be fine in that boat. You'll have to watch yourself on the tops of some reefs. Also, the chips are off by a couple feet this year because of the water being so low.

#12 Husky jerks, shallow shad raps, Rogues, your favorite stick or shad bait will work.

Some guys catch some nice skies while trolling for walleyes at night so I would say put on a bigger bait and give it a run in the evening and you have a good chance at a big boy.

Quote:

How about those White Sox?
grin.gif

Haven't heard too much from ya this year. Love to hear some of your insight in the baseball forum.
grin.gif

at least Windy sorta showed up and took it sorta like a man..... shocked.gif

621 should be fine....your chips are just a tool, for navigation always use your sonar and common sense, the lake is very low.

If your Muskie fishermen you couldn't be on better lake.....

Good Luck..... grin.gif

What do you mean, what about the White Sox. They're the World Champs. Didn't have much to say about it this year because I wasn't counting on a repeat. We had our fun last year, and even a good part of this year.

They'll be back next year.

I've been on Leech a couple of times where we've actually put on our life jackets. If I have to do that at night on a lake I'm not very familiar with, that would not be fun. In fact, there have been days where we wouldn't go out.

Can Mille Lacs get as bad as a REALLY bad day on Leech?

And how low is the lake. Does the DNR take the markers out from the reefs in October?

When I stay at Mille Lacs I trailer my boat to whereever I'm going to fish. Fall trolling is close to shore, if you don't mind trailering, pay attention to the forecast, and aren't tied to a certain spot you'll be ok.

The lake is low, nearly 2 feet. And the markers will probably be gone.

I use the LakeMaster chip (same map for Mille Lacs as on the Nav chip but LM lets you zoom in closer) - the chip is great, but on the shoreline breaks there are lots of rocks that aren't marked that you can hit - it's much more accurate once you get away from the shoreline breaks. Last time I was there we were in spots where the chip was saying 8-9 fow and the sonar was saying 3-4 fow. We bumped a few rocks where the chip said 6 fow. The chip is great to have but don't rely on it especially when running with your big motor.

im more paranoid than ever doing night trolling up there this year. it takes a lot of concentration to watch the depth, control the boat and be knowledgable of whats happening with your bait. if the wind is blowing it adds more difficulty. then, it might start raining... hahahaha.

god i love it! you just never know when you might catch the biggest walleye of your life.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Bring your winter gear! It can be darn cold out there. You might also catch a big muskie while trolling night eyes.

It has happened before. Good luck!

mm