Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OptiMax

Replacing a tire

9 posts in this topic

I had my car in for service last night, and when they were brining it off of the lift, they punctured a tire. Of course, they replaced the tire, but I got to wondering if replacing just one tire would have any adverse affects.

The car is a 2004 Honda Accord. It was still on it's original tires (53,000 miles). The remaining tires have about 7/32 inch tread on them, and the new tire is the same brand/type as the originals.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't think the diffence in wear will be significant enough to pose serious problems, but that's just my opinion.

Bob

The Car Talk guys had a column about this. Here's what I remember:

The problem comes when the tires on the drive axle are of different circumfrence. The tires don't roll the same distance on each revolution and can cause uneven tension, leading to damage. Moving the tire to a non-drive position (rear if you have front-wheel drive) should eliminate any problems. You could have the new tire shaved to match its opposite.

Or I could just "shave it down" with liberal use of the throttle grin.gif

I don't think I'm going to worry about it too much.

You replace tires in 4's......or at worst 2's......Especially with 54,000......

Didn't really have the cash on hand to replace the other three.

Then I would have had them put the second one on after all it was their fault.

I agree with northlander. It is a bad idea to run 1 new tire. It will be quite a bit taller than the other 3. You should replace at least 2 at a time so that the two on the same axle have the same outside diameter. I can see that they won't give you 2 free tires, but maybe they can cut you a discount on another one. It is nice to get all matching tires, but consider getting a cheaper tire that is just as good.

You are exactly right, don't worry about it. Yes it was their fault, it was a "mistake", evidently some people here don't make those. They gave you a new tire, what more could you ask of them. In the off season I turn wrenches for a Ford dealer and have done this same thing once to my own truck. I replaced one tire on the drive axle, those tires have been gone for a couple years and the truck has over 200,000 miles on it now with no axle concerns. If you think about this you are talking a difference of less than 1/8 inch in diameter, 1/16 inch in circumference. I would bet most people drive every day with this much or more variance due to inflation difference. These "replace tires in twos or fours" were born out of one thing, marketing to sell more tires, you don't have to, especially at 7/32nds. Just drive it, you'll be fine.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• Sculpin

Posted

Dennis Anderson, Outdoor writer for the Minneapolis Tribune had a nice write up on the duck opener at Pelican. In addition there were some locals quoted on duck hunting there. Sounds like the ducks are back, and they have the water levels well under control.

• Thanks Don! its a good time of year to be on the water!! :)

• SkunkedAgain

Posted

Oh man, I forgot about the South Switch. I haven't been there in close to fifteen years. I doubt that it's changed.....maybe I'll head there tomorrow night!

• Not lately but a buddy got 3 in big fork yesterday... No dog just him walking

• leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!
    • FishinCT
      They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope
    • gizmoguy
      Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.
    • DANR
      From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update: You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 
    • PSU
      Hello Friends: Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait. Thanks guys Andy