• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water levels and boat landings?

I was hoping to get some intel on the current river conditions - "current" - no pun intended. grin.gif

I've got a couple guys that are planning to go up on the second weekend in October. We're going to be putting in with a pretty good sized deck boat. In the past, even with water levels up, Frontier landing has been a little tough to get a boat off the trailer. I'm just guessing, but I would think that this year the river level must be way down.

Does anyone have any info on the landings from Clementson to Birchdale? I know things can change pretty fast with a few good rains, but I'm just curious where we're at right now.

Also, is anyone catching walleyes, or seeing shiners run up river yet? Thanks.

Yes there are landings at birchdale an clementson, they are probabley the best bet for landing a boat in the river cause its really tough getting a boat through the treeline that boarders much of the shoarline. People do catch walleyes but fishing for shinners can be really tough. Very very small hooks tipped with plankton or very very small insect larva has worked in the past for me. Good luck with lading the boat I did'nt know they could fly. Later boar

Hey Sam,

Although boar was very helpful, thought you might want some more info.

Clementsen (Vidas) landing drops off hard. Usually not a problem unloading but may have to winch large boat on a bit farther than usual.

Frontier ramp did get some new concrete, last year I believe & should be similar conditions.

Birchdale ramp should be good.

There is the new ramp at Timbermill park on the east side off Baudette, which is a bit long & steep but will handle any size boat & the one in Baudette bay is getting very shallow but was good to lauch & retrieve my 24' a couple weeks ago.

Haven't had much time to fish but have heard good reports from the gap. I made a few casts off our dock last night about dark with a silver crank. Had 3 bumps and then slammed by a 22" eye. Might be a fluke but know where I'll be this evening!

Small shiners are in already and the steam is rolling off the river every morning. It could literally kick in any day.

The old-timers say "low water, best fall fishin'".

Thanks to both of you.

Boar, as always, has been especially helpful. His candor is always amusing. I'll jot down those "Shiner fishing tips!"

Royal,

I must assume that you and your spouse are the owners of the Royal Dutchman motel? I've stayed there once, and was very pleased with the accomodations. The rates were very fair for the lodging, and everything was clean and comfortable. I actually suggested to the two gentlemen coming up with me that they might inquire as to your lodgings. However, they want to stay on the river with me.

Herein lies the second question. Do any of the other boat landings along the river have electric hookups available for campers or RV's? I know that Frontier doesn't. I've heard that Birchdale has 1 or 2 out of the 12 or so sites available - first come first served only. I've also heard that one of the landings is actually a campground, but the hookups are only available in the spring.

I'd greatly appreciate your help on this one. The guys that are coming up with me both sleep with c-pap machines and need power to sleep well at night. You know, city boys...

How's fishing? I believe you are now replacing Rick and Sandy as the new fishing report gurus for FM and the Rainy River! grin.gif

Still looking for any info on camping on the Rainy. Does anyone have any advice?

Any fishing reports? How are the grouse numbers around Birchdale, Pine Island Nat'l forest?

Quote:

Still looking for any info on camping on the Rainy. Does anyone have any advice?

I was at the Franz Jevne state park campground this past weekend. The park is a few miles east of Birchdale, right next to the public boat launch above the Big Sault rapids. The park has at least one campsite with both electricity and water, and possibly two campsites with just electricity. Everything was operating this past weekend, but I'd check with the office at Zippel Bay State Park on LOTW, to reserve a site at Jevne, and to make sure you have access to utilities...

The river is so low, I'm not certain you could launch at the

adjoining public launch site. I talked with one experienced camper with a large boat, and he told me he stayed at Jevne to get away from the kids and loud music, but he still went to the Nelson Campground site in Birchdale to launch his boat.

Quote:

Any fishing reports?

People I talked with were catching limits of northerns and a few walleyes in the eddies just below the Big Sault Rapids, in less than 7 feet of water... Minnows were the preferred bait.

Quote:

How are the grouse numbers around Birchdale, Pine Island Nat'l forest?

Numbers are up considerably over last year. The leaves are falling fast, and the forest will be much more open next weekend. ATVs running up and down on every forest road, about 300 yards apart. smirk.gif

I had good luck walking some of the side trails that are supposedly off-limits to ATVs... but, unfortunately, almost every such trail had a well-defined ATV roadway around the trail barriers for ATVs and other vehicles.

Good luck.

bbb

Sam,

Sorry for the delayed response! Many irons in the fire here.

Glad you were comfortable at "The Dutchman".

Guests launched a 18' with a 115HP at Vidas with no trouble.

Bite is really turning on with a 29+, 28's,27's and excellent numbers for eaters.

I'm personally seeing more grouse than before and hearing good reports.

Sorry, can't help you with campgrounds.

Your timing should be good for next week. Have fun!

Did you get your big fish up river or towards the Gap. Would be great news if you got those fish upstream. Don't need any gritty details just looking for confirmation that the big girls are upstream. If you did get them upstream could you tell if they were lake fish or river fish? Coming up next week and have been nerous about this year. If there's one thing this river teaches me year to year is you never know what your going to get. Thought for sure the fishing this year was going to be tough with the low water levels but reports are telling a different story so far.

RDutchman Just read your reply again and saw the reference to Vidas/Clementsons and that you were passing on report from Client. I was a bit excited from the content of your report I just saw the fish... That happens this time of year. Any word on the forcasted mid week weather changes up there.

CCOW,

Large fish definitely upstream. The 30" that I saw video of yesterday came in above Clementson.

As far as lake/river fish, my DNR biologist buddy says that they have never seen the color distinction that some people claim is present in the 2 but we obviously have more or at least more aggresive fish upstream now than before.

The old timers claim that low water means good fall fishing & that the best fishing is when you scoop snow out of the boat.

The best Rainy fishing is definitely not for fair-weather fishermen! Keeps out the rif-raf.

I haven't heard of a 100-fish day yet but many halfway there.

Good Luck!

I've spent days on the Rainy when most wouldn't even think to venture out there. The fishing definately gets better as the weather gets worse. It's all about how much you can tolerate. I can't help but chuckle when I read the posts regarding going now as "early". A friend of mine is planning a trip over the opening of deer season, and I'd almost give anything to be there when he's on the river, cause I'm certain that he'll tearem' up that late - snow and all!

Royal Dutchman. I genuinely appreciate the posts, and the intel on the river bite. As you can see by my profile, I am not all that far away, but not close enough to truly know what's going on up there. It's really important to me to put these guys on fish this coming weekend, as both of them are making a very long drive to the river to meet me, and both are fairly novice anglers.

I am honestly surprised that you're able to simply put new anglers on fish in that setting! I've personnally never seen a walleye bite so soft and imperseptable anywhere else. The fish must be a little more aggressive again this year. Last year we actually got to feel the "tap", and I felt privelaged in doing so. Most years the fish are just there, hanging on the bait and you don't even know it until it's too late! blush.gif I think that this might be an indication of "river" fish, and not "lake" fish.

It's just a hunch, but in my experience the river dwellers are quite a bit more aggresive than the lake fish. Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'd absolutely love to have numbers of lake "eaters" in the river when we get up there next weekend. Another benchmark that I've noticed is that the true "river" fish have larger heads, and darker colors than the LOW fish. I could certainly be wrong though.

Is the current wayyyy down? I'd heard through the grape vine that the river is almost 6 feet down from last year? Perhaps we should focus our attention more towards the gap, and other lakeside stretches of river? My biggest concern is how navigable is the river in a large fiberglass deck boat. My fishing companions plan to bring up a Hurricane with a 150 Evinrude pushing her along. I don't want to run her aground, and end up at the local repair shop!

I plan on using the old tried and true jigging techniques, but will likely try some crankbaits and drifting as well. It sounds as though there might be numbers of pike in the river too. Is there any size too the average pike right now, or are they just like the fish in the Roseau River?

Lastly, according to FiskyNut there is a pretty big tourney going on up there this weekend. I'd really love to hear the results of that tournament, winning techniques, "ballpark" locations, and hopefully, a little more local savy once the tourney wraps up.

Keep us in the loop, eh? We'll stop in and say hello when we're up next weekend. grin.gif

Past experience fishing the river, the color of the walleyes did indicate more "lake" walleyes coming into the river. The lake walleyes were lighter in color, coming out of the deep water where the sun doesn't reach. I don't put much credence into the local DNR's theories, since they stated the reasoning of sturgeon jumping out of the water because "they like to". Research shows they jump out of the water during their mating ritual.

Sandee,

Could I please have the complete, journal formatted literary citation for the research that you are referring to on sturgeon mating rituals?

Sure, it is called the World Wide Web. A little research on sturgeon gives you lots of information on bodies of water that have sturgeon. Many studies have been done over a long period of time. There are many web sites published by local DNR's and others with a lot of useful information. I can see if I can give you direct links if you'd like. smile.gif

Great Lakes Science Center

Sam, the fish are all gone, so no need to be up there, hang tight at home till I let you know their back. I Have a report from the gap, with limits being taken in a couple of hours, anchoring an jigging, heard of some big fish being taken, one in the 34" range. Definatley fish in the river. Ofcourse the main migration of shinners an eye's has not begun, but will an yes I will be piss pounding em' in first weekend in Nov. Piss on the deer. I'll muzzleload. I think what were looking at with all these numbers of fish so early is the fact that I think the harvest was really low this past winter an the rainy is seeing a result of that, I could be wrong, probabley. Anyway I looking to be alone in Nov. Yippe!!Later boar

Sam,

Plenty of "tail suckers" out there & lots of shorts, which are the future, but I have had a few real slammers already. Really takes a walleye fisherman by suprise when these fish get in the mood on the river. Sometimes it's the day and sometimes it's the hour or 10 minutes but I like it!

I am still riggin' up with a 2" stinger and guess that over 1/2 my eyes so far have been on the stinger. Different opinions from others I'm sure.

The weather has locked us up for 3 days so not much for a new report but think this weather should just improve things.

Can't give you a good pike report, due to the oath I took to become a walleye snob, and because most of my pike action this time of year lasts long enough to get a good bend on the rod before the bite off. I have pulled cranks a bit during the windy times and have not seen much but slimers. They are here for the shiners same as the eyes.

Buddy of mine finished in the upper teens in the tournament sitting in the gap with a gold jigging spoon(I outfish him all the time, LOL) and another team in that range was fishing all my spots up here. Second hand info says that only a couple pounds separated the top 20. I think the low current has fish totally spread out. I have dipped into the ice fishing box for a couple buckshot rattle spoons to try.

I will keep an eye out for the barge you described and will holler if I see you. I am in a 17' teal & white SmokerCraft and do the same.

As far as beaching, watch for dead-heads and stay between the nav. buoys below Clementson to Silver Creek and you should be OK.

Good Luck!

Well for heaven's sake! I've seen some "tight-lipped" reports, but this is ridiculous! I appreciate your dialog "RoyaL Dutchman", and I also accept that the weather has been relentless for the last few days, but this is absurd! Even te restort owners won't lie about what's happening with the bite up there!

We are currently sitting in the hot-tub of a palatial cabin outside of Longville wondering whether we should make the drive up tomorrow? frown.gif We all set aside vacation time for this weekend for the Rainy, but no one up north will "fess up" too the true bite. Guys, it's not like we'll clean out all the walleyes in the river!

We simply would appreciate some intel on whether or not we can catch a decent number of "eaters" for a couple shore lunches. I have been watching the wind levels on the radar, and can see that it's likely no one has been fishing. I'm guessing the "rollers" on the river are too much for most. Please, if there is anyone that can honestly tell us if it's worth the drive north, please share!

We only are interested in catching a meal or two. That's what this site is for, sharing information. I'd happily share by secrets with you, if you'd share your's with me. I'd be more than satisfied just to know that we can launch our boat safely, and catch a few fillets.

"Royal", we'll even committ to your place if we can find some meaningful information on the current bite. Do you have any room for tomorrow night? tongue.gif

Please, show pity too this poor and restless soul....

One last and vital thought, has all this wind and snow / rain turned the river into muck? Honestly?

We'll still come up this year,just maybe not this weekend. crazy.gif

Sam,

I call 'em like I see 'em. Would you feel better if I lied to ya & said the bite was rippin'? I know what you're saying though, I to am skeptical of any report when I don't know the players or see the results myself.

All I can tell you is we had guys that came in mid-day with a couple of eaters. Said the bite was very light & missed a lot of short hits. Wind and waves are still making presentation difficult. I am anxious to see what comes in this evening.

Don't know if you can come up & catch fish or not 'cause I haven't fished with you & don't know your skill level. I've seen guys throwing gear on the ramp and yelling that "there's no fish in this @#$%^&* river", when I just pulled off a hundred fish day. I do know you definitely won't catch 'em if you don't go fishing.

Remember that even the most current fishing report is what happened yesterday & maybe not what you will find tomorrow.

I have not seen wind muddy-up the river significantly this far up but I have not seen a sustained blow of this duration & haven't gotten out yet myself.

I would love to put you in a room but I learned early on in this business never to talk anybody into anything 'cause then they hold you responsible if they fail. Give us a call if you decide to come up. Were in the resort locator of this fine website.

Sorry about my tirade Royal. My frustration was showing outwardly cause I was so dissappointed by the weather and having our trip get washed out.

We never did make it up that far. We fished Winnie on Saturday afternoon with not so much as a bite! The forecast looked favorable for Sunday, but I was pretty confident that the storm put the Kabosh on any chances of catching fish anywhere for the next several days.

I sicerely appreciate your honesty, and apologize for coming off like a jerk. You are the only one responding to my report inquiries, and it seems strange. I know there are others up there on this website, but no one is saying boo!

Anyway, I will reschedule for another date to hit the river. I can't go a season without pounding some Rainy River walleyes. I'm very familiar with the bite, and can truly relate to your comment on the guys at the landing. If the fish are there, we'll find em'.

Thanks again for your response and I greatly appreciate your honesty. We'll talk again soon. smile.gif

Canopy Sam, JUST DO IT! You never know when you will hit the jackpot up there.

Im headed up the LAST week of Oct for 4 days and if you havent been there by then Ill give ya my report when I get back.

Sam,

You can't p--s me off, I live on the Rainy River!

Sorry to rub it in but you should have come up Sunday. One of our guys popped an 11 lb'er.

Decent fish on Saturday & Sunday but better today. Bite is VERRRY light. The longest, lightest rods are doing the best for hook-up ratios. Rattles are working for some.

Windy again today & some went to a 1/2 oz. jig & were able to hold the bottom and did much better.

As far as storms & the bite, while there may be times when conditions just don't allow for presenting a bait, we don't see fall storms having a significant negative affect on the bite. In fact, anything that lowers the water temp. usually helps.

Don't ask me what the water temp is 'cause the cute little muskrats chewed my transducer cable & I'm reading like 140.

Ooooooo... Man, ultralights, fireballs an 1lb Dia. 8lb test power pro gets my blood boiling this time of year. I just picked up three new ultra lights an cant wait to see them bend. Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy. Boar