Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lunker

Attack of the grouse

5 posts in this topic

Although this happened this spring, I thought I'd share and see if this has happened to any one else.

I was up in the Tomahawk/Rhinelander area of northern WI this spring(May/June) for a summer school camp for natural resource students(UWSP). We worked in groups of four throughout, and they also happened to be the guys I lived with. We were walking down a trail(tracking radio collars) when we heard a hissing/charging animal coming through the brush at us. I immediatley thought coon/skunk/badger/who knows what and we all started backing away when a grouse comes charging out fo the brush(on foot) all puffed up, wings out. It startled me and I was running backwards into the brush, it turned up trail and started to charge my buddy, then took to flight and chased him down the trail about thirty yards before veering back into the woods. We were all shocked, and when we heard chirping we knew it was protecting it's brood, but I hadn't heard of someone being attacked by a grouse before!

Thanks for the story. I havn't been attacked but have thought I would be knocked out of the tree a few times while bowhunting when they flew between trees

Hadn't been attacked but had seen the all puffed out grouse before. I was walking the trail in early November when I heard this chirping/hissing sound in the thickets. I turned to look and notice something slowly moving to the movements of me as I was slowly moving side to side tring to get a good look. Long story short, it made good stew that night.

I hope 5 of 'em charge me on saturday, along with another 5 on sunday. That will give me more time for crappie fishing! I'll be in the Hill City / Grand Rapids area.

That's it - something must be done! Grab your guns and load up your dogs - it's time to do away with those vicious suckers! laugh.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• curt quesnell
      Nice fish and plenty of them is what has been happening this week. Almost as many slots as keepers.  We have been jigging but pulling spinners or cranks works great too. One of the attached pics is what is showing up in the deep mud, mostly Saugers now but more Walleyes and tons more fish piling in the next few weeks. Joe Paradis from Plummer Mn out with me this morning behind the fish board and, from Thursday fishing buddy Mike Lindholm with the biggest, fattest, best looking 25 incher I have seen in a while. Having plenty of fun fishing in the wind
    • curt quesnell
      Thanks for the reports. Steve, were you at Long Point today? I saw a Stratos
    • certified jumbo
      Bugs have been brutal all summer up their.   Glad you had fun!!!
    • JBMasterAngler
      Well, we went back up there to make up for last month. There was no making up anything! Bugs were horrendous, and the fishing was slow to nonexistent. The biggest point of going back up was to fish West Bearskin and Two Island lakes, and we didn't make it to either this time around either.    We still had lots of fun. Did a lot of hiking and sightseeing, particularly on the way up and he way home. Seen a lot of things I've never seen before. Was nice to sit out by the harbor and eat Sven & Ole's. Definitely a lot more people up there in July, as opposed to June. Well, we'll be back in October. 
    • monstermoose78
      Yeah I like decoys this thread used have some on here. I will try to hit a show Thank you
    • delcecchi
      BTW the "no fish on my spots" was just a riff on Tom''s "no fish under my dock".  Sorry for any confusion.  I'm not much of a musky fisherman, so wouldn't know if there are or not, really.
    • delcecchi
      It spit her out after the first bite..
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Have heard of people getting bit before but that was a really nasty looking wound!! And some claim that Muskies do not like to eat walleyes! People must taste better! Cliff
    • DLD24
      My last trip to Mille Lacs I lost a big eye right before I saw it with the jiggin rap...Then 10 minutes later I hooked a 28.5" eye and that was the most scared I've been fighting a fish lol... Every head shake I was darn near dropping my rod tip in the water lol.
    • monstermoose78
      What kind of hand auger and shape is it in