• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish Hook Tourney

Still time to get into the Fish Hook Tournament this weekend. Prefishing has been great for all three species. That is, before the rains came. Need any info, let me know.

Sorry, there's no website. I posted a thread about three weeks ago. I'll give you the important stuff. It's on saturday the 23rd, on Fish Hook Lake. It's a multi-species tourney, Bass Northern Walleyes. Pre fishing was great. Exspect to see lot's of big fish at the weigh in. Still have room for more boats. Entry fee $120.00 per two man team. First place 1000.00. Raising money for the Park Rapids High School Tennis program, as it is no longer funded by the school. Need to have money in Friday, or make some type of other arrangement. Rules Meeting Friday night at 7:00pm at Heartland Park

Quote:

It's a multi-species tourney, Bass Northern Walleyes. Pre fishing was great. Expect to see lot's of big fish at the weigh in.

Just got back (to Omaha) frown.gif from our annual trek to PR.

EVERY TIME I went through town and saw the river... and/or head north on 71 and see the river/lake, I marveled at all the cover still there (which was virtually non-existent on 8th Crow Wing), and wondered if it was a good place/lake to fish...?

Please post the results and some of the "big fish" caught. (Maybe I'll have to give it consideration for NEXT year's vacation!) wink.gif

THANKS!

I'll do that. I am going to have someone at the weigh-site take some pictures of some fish. Fish Hook is an awesome lake. It's even a great ice fishing lake. Early ice to mid january.

How did you do on your vaction ?

It's been my experience, that if you like to throw spinner baits, and jig worms, you can catch them up in the reed beds. There are alot of reed beds that sit right on the edge of the break, so they hold lot's of fish. You can also catch them on a jig and minnow, again just on the edge of the breaks. There was a Bass Club tourney on Fish Hook approx. Two weeks ago. The winning team weighed in a 5 fish limit, weighing twenty plus pounds. Little over 4 lb average. Great Bass Lake

Quote:

I'll do that. I am going to have someone at the weigh-site take some pictures of some fish. Fish Hook is an awesome lake. It's even a great ice fishing lake. Early ice to mid january. How did you do on your vaction ?

Thanks for asking... Well, to make a LONG story short... had a LOT of problems getting Dad's old boat ready (broken leaf-spring, rotten trailer bunks, etc. etc.). Tried to take it for a test run (here) on Labor Day... boat slid off of trailer BEFORE getting to the water... and broke the transom! shocked.gif Spent the rest of the week leading up to vacation repairing the transom.

Got to PR/resort late Saturday afternoon (9th), took boat out for it's first "test-spin"... and blew out the lower unit on the (1958 18hp Johnson) motor!! <sigh> Resort owner loaned us his boat for Sunday-Tuesday. Got the motor fixed at Trail and Lake Sports ($220)... And those are just SOME of the hurdles we overcame!

Had made a reservation for a local guide to take us out (NOT Jonah or his dad), and got stood up. Guide called a day later and offered to have his "buddy" guide us. Sure, you have my cell phone, have him call me. Buddy never called either. Called guide back to tell him... never got a call back from either one of them. Won't mention names... but won't be using them again, either... VERY disappointed.

So, without any electronics or "guide tips", went back to beating the banks in the AM and PM. Most fish caught on any one outing was 3... and wife didn't catch anything all week. Biggest bass was (one) 18-incher; rest were 16" or smaller...

The lake (8th Crow Wing) was VERY murky/cloudy... and most of the weedbeds were already gone (didn't help my "bank-beater" mentality). Resort owner said the water "color" was because of an earlier algae bloom... and because of a beaver dam in the (8th) river outlet. Either way, the fishing - whether the lake or me - wasn't what we'd hoped.

So between the mechanical "challenges" and the poor fishing, we probably won't go back there (8th) any time soon.

Quote:

There was a Bass Club tourney on Fish Hook approx. Two weeks ago. The winning team weighed in a 5 fish limit, weighing twenty plus pounds. Little over 4 lb average. Great Bass Lake

NEXT YEAR, I hope to have MY OWN boat (with working electronics)... and will certainly keep Fishhook open as an option (along with Little Mantrap and Spider)!!!

hey bob sorry to hear you had a rough vacation, next i might have to take a couple days off from school and come help you out. sorry to hear about the guide thing, that really sucks not to mention the negitive impact it can have on the reputation of all the guides in the park rapids area. thanks for the input we all appreiciate hearing what you think of the area and how your trip was so we can better serve you in the future. thanks again Jonah

Well thats too bad. The boat thing, and the guide thing. Sorry that didn't work out better. Next year, if you come at the same time of year, you'll have to hit Fish Hook. The guys that prefished were really excited about the tourney. Last week one day,I was showing a guy around the lake, a friend of mine, who is going to fish the tourney, but doesn't know the lake. We stopped at one spot, in the first minute, I caught a 20" walleye, and within an hour, I caught 6 northerns, 3 bass, and that walleye. Then I was thinking I should have showed him a different spot, keeping this one to myself, for the tourney. He then went back out that evening, and caught 4 nice walleyes. So, it's a good lake, close to town with lots of room for lots of people.

Thanks Jonah. Don't worry, don't believe one bad guide experience applies to all. BTW, stopped into NB and talked with JIM a bit. Told him to tell you hi.

Wife went into NB with me, took one whiff and walked back out!!! <lol> She couldn't stand the smell of all that "life bait"!!!

I got to see some of those 18-inch "bait" you were usin'... (Contact Us Please) near went back to the truck to get my rod & reel!!!!!!!! grin.gif

As for the fishing... well... don't know if it was ME... or the lake. The resort owner said the lake was "off" because, although the CW's vary so little in water level due to the river, it WAS nearly a foot higher because of a beaver dam at the 8th dam. He (resort owner) took it out while I was there.

Soooo... I could blame it on a lot of things... the algae bloom, etc. but, in reality, I know its my lack of skill and presentation. But, when you don't have ANY electronics, and it was the first time fishing in 5-6 years... I know it was really ME...

But, my Dad's boat is in the garage, all the mechanical challenges are behind me, and it's now ready to go on a moment's notice. Still hope to get out a couple of times yet this fall... and again next year. Then NEXT TIME, those MN basses better look out!!! wink.gif

P.S. I'll be sure to give YOU (or your DAD) a shot next year!!

Quote:

We stopped at one spot, in the first minute, I caught a 20" walleye, and within an hour, I caught 6 northerns, 3 bass, and that walleye. He then went back out that evening, and caught 4 nice walleyes.

I think that's more fish that I caught ALL WEEK!!! shocked.gif

grin.gif Thanks for your kind words...

Bob, when you come back next year, and if you and Jonah can't hook up, you can call me, and I'll take you out. I'm not as good as Jonah's dad, but I know how to fish some of these lakes. I fish all the local tourneys with my son. We spend alot of time on the water. If you want to take me up on this, let me know. I'll give you my e-mail address.

Take Care,

Brett

Jonah,how did the Gusties do against the Johnnies?GO JOHNNIES!!!!Going up to the Hook next weekend.Catch anything near the river in the tourney?Any info is appreciated.Thanks.Eagle

Hey Johna and Bob. The tourney is over. Johna, I think your Dad and brother took 4th place with 29 + pounds. From 5th to 3rd, was about 1/4 lb difference. Gravdahl's won the tourney 40.03 lbs. Wind blew 30 mph all day, and it rained most of the day. I gave all the offical score sheets to the fishermen, so I am going by memory. There was a couple of guys on the water, not in the tourney, fishing by Ryan and I. We watched them catch 7 walleyes and put them on a stringer and drag them around. I couldn't believe it. They were in a 16 ft boat, 5 hp motor, noisier then heck, and slaying the walleyes. We had a good time. biggest walleye was 7 lbs, biggest northern was 8 lbs, biggest bass was 4+ lbs. Not bad considering it's been raining and blowing for 5 days. Trolling motor batteries crapped out with an hour to go. Ryan and I caught 20", 17", walleyes, and I missed one with the net, Ryan didn't even say anything, I couldn't hardly live with myself. We caught a dozen northerns, only 1, qualifying, and we had a couple of Bass. Your Dad had 6 Bass, and three northerns, not sure on the walleyes. if I forgot any thing, just send a message. Take Care Brett

Leech, I fished the the tourney today. Good bite goin on. Just courious where the 16 foot boat draggin the stringer was catchin there fish?? Thanks

If you are asking me if I was the one dragging the stringer ?

No, I was watching someone. My point was that those two guys in that boat, were using some pretty basic equipment, and they were out fishing me like nobody's business. I say good for them. I take my hat off to them.

Quote:

Bob, when you come back next year, and if you and Jonah can't hook up, you can call me, and I'll take you out. If you want to take me up on this, let me know. I'll give you my e-mail address. Brett

Thanks Brett. Since you never know what circumstances may prevail NEXT YEAR, I would really appreciate your contact/email address. Drop me a line at ydoc69b-at-yahoo.com

Bob