• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

books about the history of fishing in Minnesota

mrjigger

Question

I am taking a class in which I have to write an essay regarding a tradition or ritual that is important to me.

I chose to write about the Minnesota Fishing Opener. Are there any books I could reference about the History of Fishing in Minnesota?

4 answers to this question

I know of some books that are excellent, although they do not really cover the fishing opener as you requested.

Dr. Duane Lund wrote several books about hunting and fishing on Lake of the Woods. One of them has an excellent history of the lake, going back to the time of the French Voyaguers through the modern day. Most of the fishing parts are centerd around Nestor Falls.

Another excellet book is "A Time to Fish, A TIme to Dry Nets" by Alvin Johnston. This book is about the Lake of the Woods history, commercial fishing, and the end of the commericial fishery on the US side. It covers deer hunting, how they fished, burbot netting under the ice, and mink farming. This book was impossible for me to put down.