Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eye4Eye

grouse hunting by Voyegeurs

12 posts in this topic

I will be on the ash river staying at a resort. It primarly is a fishing trip but I would like to bring the shotgun and try for a grouse or 2. I will be up there for a week and I think I can spare a day to go. I have no idea where. I think you also cannot bring any firearms into the park. Is that true?

Thanks

There is all kinds of great grouse hunting around. There are a few spots on the trail itself, but more most of it is private land. For your best success check out the kohler pit road, which is just two roads north of Gateway store on the left hand side of the road. Ask the crew at Gateway and they would be happy to direct you in the general direction. You can also access the snowmobile trail from the ash river side or the kabetogama side. There are also some spots about fifteen minutes north, like the haney road and the galvin line.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Thats right, no hunting in VNP.

If I were you, and you have the time, I would wake up early, and take an hour drive back down to Orr, and then towards Crane Lake. Hunt all the trails off the Echo trail, the 55 mile long gravel road that goes to Ely.

This is what I would do, I have stayed on Ash River Many times! Sunset Resort. Where are you Staying? Crappie Fishing might be good this time of year!

Good Luck!

Mark

All of the roads metioned are great roads, but on the weekends they look like rush hour traffic in Chicago. Try to get off the betten path or go during the week. The weekend worriers are in full force on the weekends. I don't even go out on the weekends. To many people

Yeah Dock Boy makes a good point that I forgot to mention, it gets really busy on the weekends. I never hunt the main roads on the weekends. About the only time that I even hunt the roads are on my way to and from the trails that I walk. And there are many spots that you can walk and get far away from the main pressured areas.

namakanwalleye...I am staying at Sunsets as well. I am thinking of getting on some crappie do you know of a good area where they might be found? I heard sullivan's bay, which would be closer to the resort.

Thanks

tearin lips, dock boy.. I will be there from tues-tues so I can probably get out on a weekday.

Thanks again

Sullivan Bay is normally good for Crappies,

I would try Moose Bay, its one bay over from Sullivan, to the East.

--Mark

You are going to find you best crappie fishing over deeper water than what is found in either bays. 20-36', suspended 2-10' feet off bottom.

Thanks for the info.... BTW I just ordered a PRIM map from the dnr store. Do you know how long it usually takes to get one of them off the web? they said they would ship same or next day, but I do not know if they use a 1-2day service or if it is going to be a 3-4day.

Thanks

just got back from kab-nam. Ended up getting 4 grouse for a couple of hours of huntin. Since we were primarily there for fishing. Flushed only 5 so good ratio I thougt.

Thanks for your help

I was at our deer shack this weekend and I haven't seen birds like that in many years. I can't wait to get back out in a couple of weeks. grin.gif