Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hibbing

Marker Bouys

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an idea when the DNR removes the marker bouys from Vermilion?

10/21/2006

I don't think it is the DNR that puts those markers out, but the occasionally maligned Sportsman's Club of Lake Vermilion. If you aren't a member, you ought to be. They do a lot of good things for the lake.

Quote:

... They do a lot of good things for the lake.

Funny you should mention that. I was fishing there two weeks ago and when I was landing the boat at the end of the day there were a couple fellows from the Vermillion Sprotsmans' Club at the dock. Nice guys, talked to people about some of the nasty aquatic hitch hikers from other areas. I was impressed, they were out there because they wanted to protect the resource.

Hats off to the guys who put in an pull the many markers that keep us all safe.

Super Job.

T.

smile.gif

hhhhmmmm, that ought to make my trip to vermillion (first one ever) on 10/27 - 10/31 very interesting and slow going.

If you use common sense and stay a good distance from shore and islands you should be good. There a few out in open, water but they are really few. And right now I actually can't remember any. I really try to stay away from clusters of islands and such.

Who do I contact to join?

You should get yourself a good depth map of Vermilion. Study the areas you will be going, to highlight where the bouys WERE. There are definitely a few spots that would take off your lower unit!

I do have a map and there are only about 5 or 6 spots that I fish in the fall and I know safe routes to all of them. But that is a good tip for someone who is not sure of where they are going.

To join SCLV,

Cathy Raps, Treasurer/membership

PO Box 456

Cook, MN 55723

Individual $10

Mr/Mrs $15

Family $29

Business or Organization $50

Shoulder patches $1

Window Decals $0.50

From the web site reached by way of lakevermilion (Contact Us Please)

Activities of the Club include annual water testing at many regular sites on the Lake, an annual loon count and providing the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources with assistance at both the walleye hatchery near Tower and the Northern Pike rearing pond at the Cook end. Boating and water safety have always been priorities for the Club. The Club maintains a navigational aid system that includes lights placed at strategic locations on the Lake to assist in night navigation and numbers many of the hazard buoys to correspond to official maps for that sometimes, temporarily confused boater. We also provide boating safety posters for resort cabins and docking areas. One of the Club's most project is one we have undertaken in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and involves the development and maintenance of five day-use shore lunch sites on the lake.

Education is one of our major commitments. The Club, through its newsletter and web site, provides information on subjects like boating safety, native wildlife and a few fishing tips. We inform members of the dangers of introducing exotics like Eurasian milfoil, Zebra mussels, rusty crayfish and a whole host of other nasties. And we provide information about land use practices to prevent pollutants from entering our Lake. As an added way of advancing the educational mission of the club, we offer a scholarship at the end of each school year to a Tower or Cook high school senior whose college studies relate to conservation or the environment.

I highly recommend that you join the Sportsman Club of Lake Vermilion. I have been a member for years and proudly display there decals on my Ranger. Love the newsletter! Join today.

Bobber down, Tommy Tadpole

If you have a LakeMaster chip and a Lowrance GPS the hazards are well marked on that.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

Usually we skip the the river until later in the year but it was the cleanest water we found and the only place we caught any fish. Heading out now to give it another try.

• curt quesnell

Posted

Close to home is possible, try those places first?  I will be out this weekend (if this cold doesnt kill me first)  Better luck next time fins

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• fins_n'_feathers
      Usually we skip the the river until later in the year but it was the cleanest water we found and the only place we caught any fish. Heading out now to give it another try.
    • curt quesnell
      Close to home is possible, try those places first?  I will be out this weekend (if this cold doesnt kill me first)  Better luck next time fins
    • ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?