• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Remember, it was only 5 years ago.....

Valv

When this county came under attack, by noon thousands of people lost their lives.

Today it's day of rememberance, let's not forget what happened.

Isn't today 9/10. Yep just checked the calendar and tomorrow is 9/11. Still seems like yesterday all this happened.

Do you guys think that in 40 years it will be basically forgotten like Pearl Harbor? Same sort of actions and now we purchase more of their cars than ours.

Just watched it on channel 4. WOW-brings back a lot of sad memories. Hopefully, we will never forget. As bad as it was to watch again, people need to see it so they don't forget. Bless the heroes of 9-11 and God be with the families of the one's that didn't make it out. Fly your flag tomorrow.

Got this in am e-mail from a freind who is still active duty. Thought I'd share.

Dear Terrorists,

I am a Navy Aviator. I was born and raised in a small town in New England . I come from a family of five. I was raised in a middle class home and taught my values by my mother and father.

My dad worked a series of jobs in finance and my mom took care of us kids. We were not an overly religious family but attended church most Sundays. It was a nice small Episcopal Church. I have a brother and sister and I am the youngest in my family. I was the first in many generations to attend college.

I have flown Naval aircraft for 16 years. For me the flying was never a lifelong dream or a "calling," it just happened. I needed a job and I liked the challenge. I continue to do it today because I feel it is important to give back to a nation which has given so much to me. I do it because, although I will never be rich, my family will be comfortable.

I do it because many of my friends have left for the airlines and someone has to do it.

My government has spent millions to train me to fly these

multi-milliondollar aircraft. I make about 70,000 dollars a year and after 20 years will be offered a pension.

I like baseball but think the players make too much money. I am in awe of firemen and policemen and what they do each day for my community, and like teachers, they just don't get paid enough.

I respect my elders and always use sir or ma'am when addressing a stranger. I'm not sure about kids these days but I think that's normal for every generation.

I tell you all this because when I come for you, I want you to know me. I won't be hiding behind a woman or a child. I won't be disguised or pretending to be something I am not. I will be in a U.S. issue flight suit. I will be wearing standard US issue flight gear, and I will be flying a navy aircraft clearly marked as a US warplane. I wish we could

meet up close in a small room where I could wrap my hands around your throat and slowly squeeze the life out of you, but unfortunately, you're hiding in a hole in the ground, so we will have to do this a different way.

I want you to know also that I am very good at what I do. I can put a 2,000 lb weapon through a window from 10,000 feet up. I generally only fly at night, so you may want to start sleeping during the day. I am not eager to die for my country but I am willing to sacrifice my life to protect it from animals like you.

I will do everything in my power to ensure no civilians are hurt as I take aim at you.

My countrymen are a forgiving bunch. Many are already forgetting what you did on Sept 11th. But I will not forget!! I am coming.

I hope you know me a little bit better, see you soon...sleep tight.

Signed

A U.S. Navy Pilot

Good post Valv.. Remember how the whole Country came together?? Remember the feeling of "One Nation, under God"? It's been 5 years and it seems that we are forgetting that feeling of togetherness frown.gif

Thank you Soldiers for portecting me and my family.

Thank you to the parents and families of those who server now and in the past.

I will not forget those who died 5 years ago today. I will not let my children forget.

GOD BLESS THE USA!

Never Forget I can remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard about the first plane and when the building collapsed.

Don't mean to take away from the attempt to express feelings here but it's in my nature to ask, mnfishingguy. Do you think we should be holding a grudge toward the Japanese people forever for something that was done 65 years ago? When is it appropriate to forgive?

We all like to tell our colored citizens to stop blaming us for their ancestor's slavery. There is now a thread running on another category here with similar comments about the Native American treaties. It works both ways.

Some day I hope we will be able to remember 9/11 as a sad day in our history without judging all people with middle eastern ancestory.

As far as whether we will forget? We have not forgotten Pearl Harbor. We have just learned to forgive and move on. There are commemoritive activties every year that take place on Dec 7. I bet if you perform a web search you can find some of these and take part if you wish.

Bob

I remember someone telling me about it at work and I asked them what the punch line was cuz I really couldn't believe something like that could or would happen. I also remember been stunned and then outraged by the fact that someone would do something like that to innocent people.

Forget not a happening thing mad.gif

Quote:

When is it appropriate to forgive?

When those that did the deed have been punished and they have changed their behaviours enough to warrant forgiveness. And neither has happened yet!!

Bob T, I wasn't trying to start anything, just more or less making a statement. People now get all emotional (for good reason) on Sept 11 but when December 7th rolls around nobody really seems to care. Yes, it was 65 years ago vs. 5.

To me, in my opinion, let me reteat that, in my opinion it seems that there is an injustice done to the survivors of Pearl Harbor every December 7th nowdays. My father served in the Navy during WWII in the Pacific theater, and was on his way to Pearl Harbor (two days out) when it came under attack. I am well aware of the ceremonies that go on for Dec. 7. Sure, it gets press but not anywhere near the same as this attack.

I'd really like this date not to be forgotten over time but they say time does heal all wounds, hence my asking if this date will be forgotten as time goes by. Putting that another way, since we have healed from the Japanese attack and do business with them now

do you see the U.S. and the Middle Eastern countries ever reaching that status with each other someday? Not just at the corporate level but at the every day man and woman level?