Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finspat

Slugs who shoots what?

10 posts in this topic

Just wondering,what guns shoot what,

I have been shoot federal premiums

out of my 870, shoots pretty good.

My brother inlaw has the same set-up

his gun shoots like crap!

just wondering if you reply

you fellow pumkin throwers!

let me know what people are shooting so i can help out my bro-inlaw!I have hunted shotgun 20yrs now!

I love it, it can get disheartning, when your set-up

doesnt work out, have to be patient and find the right slug!

Hunt Hard Shoot straight and have fun!!!!

Fins

rem copper solid 3"mags, about $12pr box from a rem.870express mag with slug barrel, shoots as well as anything ive thrown through my gun

Federal Barnes Expanders at 1900 fps out of a fully rifled Hastings. It will shoot under 2" groups at 100 yds on sandbags 9 times out of 10. The bad news is, if I miss, it ain't the guns fault!

Whatever is cheapest. Federal, remington & winchester rifled slugs all seem to shoot about the same out of my gun with a bird barrel.

I also have an 870. First year they made them, 51 I think. Last year I bought 5 different brands of slugs and tried the all at the range. I was surprised that there was a difference in them. Not a lot but enough to make me not want to buy them. I found for my gun Winchester super X rifled slugs were the most accurate. 12 GA. 2 3/4" 1 oz. Foster Slug. 1700 FPS hi-velocity. You can't use these with a rifled barrel though. Mine is smooth. Good luck. Kid

when I'am using the shotgun 23/4 only 870 wingmaster with a rem slug barrel I shoot brenikies they seem to shoot better than feds and winchesters . my barrel isnt rifled and havent tried any sabots at all.

I bought a Browning bolt action rifled barrel 12 gauge the last year they made them and love the gun. I shoot remington copper solids out of it and get excellent results over 100 yards.

I'm using Winchester power points slugs and it works great for my A5 smooth bore. Yes, the power points are regular foster slug but they put a beating on any deer.

Finspat,

I would tell you kin to clean the gun barrel especially around the chamber.

Though it may look clean there is probably a good build up of plastic around the chamber.

I have seen it more then once.

Winchester supreme partition gold, incredibly accurate and pattern real well. The only drawback is the 12.99/box price tag.