Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoffer

Would anyone shy away from the aquaview scout?

17 posts in this topic

Was looking at the Scout at Fleet tonight for 159.00.

I know there has been a debate about what is the best system for an underwater camera outfit - but would anyone really suggest NOT to buy or shy away from the Scout at this price? I just want a basic outfit that I can use to view things for winter fishing and fooling around with in the Summer...thanks for any advice!

I have a Scout I got last winter. I only have used it ice fishing and it did a good job for me. My son likes to watch the fish. I would buy it again.

Ski

It is a great tool for ice fishing on clear water. I have used mine for two years, and it is great if you know what to expect. I carry an extra 7.2 amp battery, because the 4 amp in the camera doesn't last more than a couple of hours. It definately isn't much for murky water or in low light conditions.

The only reason I got a z-series model over the scout is that the z-series is water-proof while the scout is water-resistant.

Thanks so far guys - I appreciate the feedback....again I know some of this has been discussed - I just couldnt find the past forum - but do any of the underwater cameras work in murky lakes? If so, do yoy have to go up to a level where the cost is much higher??

Quote:

I just want a basic outfit that I can use to view things for winter fishing and fooling around with in the Summer...

I like mine it has been though some rough suff with me out on the ice, I find that it works better in the ice house not all that good in the boat, It has about 40 hrs on it from 2 years of use I don't know if thats proves anything but it still works just like the day I bought it.

Quote:

... but do any of the underwater cameras work in murky lakes? If so, do yoy have to go up to a level where the cost is much higher??

There is definitely a point where an underwater camera just will not work. It will see a foot or two, but that is it. I fish Lake of the Woods & Upper Red alot in the winter and my VS560 even has a hard time on those 2 lakes. It will see a little bit on Upper Red and just forget about it entirely at night too.

So on clear lakes... $200 camera or a $600 camera, you will see almost the same thing, one of them is just more fun to use because of the features. Now I could get going on and on about the featues my 560 has and how much I love them but that is a different topic. Plain & simple, a camera is a camera.

Murky lakes become the great equalizing factor. Thats just a fact.

Hanson-

that kind of does it for me...good review. Thanks! I know the camera you have is an awesome one. For me the difference is spending 200.00 or less on one - or nothing at all - and it sounds like if I want a good straight forward underwater viewer the scout will work. Have you or anyone here tried it on canadien waters - the "darker" waters...I wouldnt really call them murky - they are just more stained...

I've used my scout on Kabetogama, during summer, in the past. Worked pretty well. Kabetogama definately has that Canadian "color" to it, but it is also pretty clear in comparison to others. Use it as a learning tool, in conjunction with your fishfinders.

Quote:

Quote:

... but do any of the underwater cameras work in murky lakes? If so, do yoy have to go up to a level where the cost is much higher??

There is definitely a point where an underwater camera just will not work. It will see a foot or two, but that is it. I fish Lake of the Woods & Upper Red alot in the winter and my VS560 even has a hard time on those 2 lakes. It will see a little bit on Upper Red and just forget about it entirely at night too.

So on clear lakes... $200 camera or a $600 camera, you will see almost the same thing, one of them is just more fun to use because of the features. Now I could get going on and on about the featues my 560 has and how much I love them but that is a different topic. Plain & simple, a camera is a camera.

Murky lakes become the great equalizing factor. Thats just a fact.

My exact thoughts too. I too spend alot of time on LOW and I found that a camera was just a extra piece of equipment that I was carrying that never got used and when it did it seemed to be in the way. As Hanson said murky water it won't matter if you has a camera that cost $159 or 600. I myself have a cheaper aqua vu and right now I just don't even use it. I stick with the flasher because it tells me all I need to know.

I need a camera for in the boat and in the ice house.

I want the VS560 but I never see it out anymore. I had a MC2X Aqua-Vu that worked until my cousin left it in the boat overnight and it rained. (=me not happy)

I like using my camera in the boat while prefishing tournaments thats all.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for in the boat too.

For in the fish house only, I would go with the scout! Nothing wrong with that unit there. Just in the boat during the bright sun you really cant see the screen.

I do tons of ice fishing - but not always in the house - how has the experience been with the scout outside the house on the ice?

you gotta get your face right up to the sun-shield if it's light outside. It's the same as trying to watch football on a small B&W television outside.

I use a Scout XL all year round.. yes if its bright out it can be difficult.. but still well worth it in my opinion!

I agree with Dietz, well worth it all around, especially for ice fishing or when you are wondering "what the heck is going on down there" smile.gif

I have tried the scouts in some of the more heavily stained waters around the Duluth area, and although you can see through the water itself, lack of light penetration down below 10 ft. pretty much makes it impossible to see anything. In any case, if you get one anduse it a bit you will find that you definitely will learn from it.

I have been very happy with my scout.I do not need a better one as the cheaper one gets the job done for me.

One thing I might suggest is to get the one just above the scout with the 7" screen.A friend of mine has the newer one with the bigger screen and it is nicer but views about the same.

They are fun to play with and on clearer lakes are great.When it is dark its not the best.Works in the summer but hard to see when its very bright out.If I took smaller kids with I think it could be a rush.

I believe the scout with the 7" screen is the XL which was new for last year. smile.gif

Yes, you are correct Harv- and then there is the Scout SR with the spectra response lights.....