• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello!

My wife and I just bought a trailer between Lida and Crystal and I would be especially appreciative of any advice about the lakes (especially this time of the year). How's the fishing been.. what depths? areas...etc. I have a few maps of the lakes and the chip for my graph. Besides fishing.... it appears as though I should be careful rummaging across Lida... lots of emerging vegatation. I plan on using the Public access on the north side of the lake (West of Crystal/Lida resort). Are there any "BEWARE SPOTS" that I should be aware of getting into the main body of water?

Thanks!

Ben

hey, I was up at my cabin last weekend and did a little fishing. The smallies seem to be doing pretty good on the reed beds. I caught 4 over 3 lbs. I hope this helps a little bit.

Welcome to Lida. I grew up on the lake....spent most of today driving around to burn off some old gas...the boat, not me.

Its a pretty simple Lake...no real danger spots...just watch your depth finder and keep on eye on the weed lines and you should be fine. There are a couple of spots on South Lida, near the Maplewood State Park beach that are pretty shallow and rocky..just dont try to drive between the makers and you should be fine. If I were you, I would just dump your boat in and go exploring....should be fun. Good luck and welcome to Lida.

Cliffy.

Congrats on the new purchase. Wish I could give you info on the hot spots but I would be telling you a pack of lies since I am in Illinois. Cliffy is correct about South Lida near the park. Also, when going from Lida to South Lida, just watch the water depth when going through the tunnel and make sure you are lined up to see any oncoming boat traffic. Low water conditions can mean disaster for a boat motor once you have committed yourself to going through.

I have vacationed on lida for many years and have one memory that sticks out in my mind for a spot to look out for. On the west shore line of Lida, north of Solingers Resort is a large reed bed I have always referred to as Johnson's Bay (Good bass and sunnies). The small opening on the southwest end of the reed bed has 1 rock that has several dings in it from some lower units. The rock is not visible until you are just about on it, and let me tell ya, it's BIG! In 1979, an older gentlemen from Souix Falls found it with his old 10 horse Johnson and 14 ft aluminum while running at half throttle. Broke the lower unit and cracked the transom. Yes, we gave him a ride, not a tow, back to Solingers. LOL!

Additionally, 2 years ago, Paul R. showed me some big rocks north and east of the main island on Lida just short of the halfway mark to Kansas Point when heading north-northeast. It's marked on my topo map at 6 fow when the lake is at normal pool. Be careful during low water years. This is a good spot for fishing eyes and smallies when they come up on the flat to feed from the 30-40 fow.

Again, congrats and good fishing to you.

In S. Lida, between the big island and the reeds to the SE, I lost my lower unit a couple years ago on a rock. I'd be carefull of the reedbed in the middle of the lake to the NE in N Lida also. It goes from 25' to 2' in just a few feet and there's rocks in there too.

I have not fished Lida a lot but a buddy of mine swears by it. Let us know if he is just using swear words. wink.gif

Well, I got out and got about 4 hours of fishing in on Lida this weekend (weather conditions, wedding, women, and boat operator oversight (see below)) didn't mix well for enjoying the lake as much as I would have liked. We did ok? We only fished for 4 hours, it was my first time on the lake which led me to rely on the good ol' GPS for fishing spots, and the cold front didn't help matters.... but we did manage to catch 3 walleyes (1 too big (22 inches), 1 too small and a nice eater). We also caught: 1 small smallie, 1 small northern and 1 rock bass. There were more than a fair share of "swings and misses" along with three of them resulting in no more lure. It was the strangest spot I have ever fished... along the weedline and three times... go to set the hook and nothing was there no tension whatsoever (lure... the whole 9 yards.... gone)? I am hoping it was a northern, but dang it would have been nice to see what it was mad.gif

I talked with a few locals at the public access and they said the fishing has been a lot better this year than the last few? The one thing I now know about Lida is DANG there is a lot of structure in that lake.... I am not sure there is a flat spot in the whole lake, which makes determining which spot to fish a daunting task. I look forward to learning each and every piece of it!

Thanks to all for the information... I had a learning experience that had to do with low oil rather than the rocks I was concerned about prior to going out (THANK GOD FOR ALARMS). It was a long troll back blush.gif

What kind of line do you use? I bought some flourocarbon and hate the stuff. I think I'm not keeping the line wet enough when cinching the knot. They break completely off for me. Feels like there's nothing when I set. Lida is and has always been an awesome fishery. You can watch for the community spots and then go back to them when everyone goes home and you'll see what they've missed. Guys just go back and forth over a point but the ones that really do well find out where the breaks run. Some go a different direction and when you follow them, you'll have other boats watching you.