Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzbunni

Isle Royale Shore-Fishin'

8 posts in this topic

I know, this sounds kinda lame, but...

Me and my buddies are going up to the Isle for a 25yr. reunion trip (yah, gettin' older...) Anyhow...those many moons ago we caught and consumed some tasty brook trout from Grace Creek on our final night. This trip will be a tad shorter so we (I) won't be able to hit Grace Creek (it appears the season will be closed at the time of our trip anyhow). Realizing that any day fishing is better than any day not fishing, I'm wondering if there may be a remote chance that I could catch something in the big pond? We will be camping at Huginnin Cove on the N/SW side of the Isle for a couple of days, and I though I might bring along a rod perhaps. Is it worth it? Do I have a shot at anything? Bring along some spoons ya say? Thanks for your input.

The water drops off fast on that side of the island and I think you stand a good chance of hooking some lakers. Heavy spoons like Krocs will cast a long ways. Use a reel with a large capacity spool.

Thanks for the tips ST. What size Kroc's should I be looking at? 1 oz.? Gold w/orange stripe? 10-12lb mono o.k. as well? I remember reading ST's article on fishing the 2-harbors breakwall, and wonder if the information he provided in that article wouldn't apply in this case as well. Thanks again.

Yep use the same gear and tackle as in the article.

What your doing is using gear appropriate to handle the size fish along with being able for long casts. Large capacity spools with the lightest line you can get by with. In this case your not sitting on a break wall with no chance of getting hung when fighting fish. For that reason I'd up the line # to 8 or 10 lb. Use heavy spoons with small profiles for long casts. The larger krocs should work. I don't know if you can find Steelies and more, they're a smaller tear shaped spoon and are heavy. What time of year are going?

Our trip is from 9/13 to 9/18. Whoa! That's comin' up fast. I gotta start prepping the menu selection(my job). Cabela's sells some BIG Kroc's (2.5-7oz.), you weren't thinking that big, were you?

dang thats big i would try kastmaster too up to 1oz 1/2-1oz is more then enough. Unless your use surfrods and heavy line. K.O. wobblers, little cleos, any spoons that are made for casting some distance are good choices. Rooster Tails spinns in the 1/2 to 1oz are good too hmmmm i would try pink. Those are baits i use most of the time from shore anyways. wink.gif

I fished the Island about 3 weeks ago off Huginnin Cove and did pretty good using the Gold Star Copper/Watermelon and a Glow Blue spoon not sure what the name of it was. The Gold Star is not a great casting spoon but wouldn't hurt to try. I would for sure pack a couple glow spoons to try out. I am heading up there this weekend with my Uncle weather permitting

Krocs and Kastmasters are among the all-time champs at casting long distances like a bullet, especially with lighter lines and long rods. On the wall, I spooled up 8 lb Trilene XL (no abrasion issues on the wall, since you're essentially in open water) on a 4000 series Shimano, mounted on a 8.5 foot Berkley spinning rod designed for river steelhead fishing and rated for 6-12 pound line — and the cast just seemed to go on and on forever. Krocs, if you don't know it, plane up really quickly on the retrieve and will come shallow if you reel too fast. I always let it sink on a slack line until it hit bottom, then gave it a big jerk to get it out of any rocks and reeled slow to medium all the way back if I was targeting lakers. Sometimes I'd reel a dozen cranks and drop the rod back down on the pause to let it sink, then reel again and so on in a lift/fall. That can work too. Good luck and have a lot of fun. And you're dead right — A day fishing beats a day not fishing. grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Juan Grande
      Thanks guys!  We tried kayak fishing last year (around Labor Day I think) and the Rum was way too high.  We launched on CR 7 between Blue and Green lake and just ended up paddling the river.  Is that a good stretch for smallies?
    • ANYFISH2
      wow, that is one dark walleye!
    • ANYFISH2
      And no reports make forums no good. Participation is what makes this place great.   Do not discourage that!
    • IRISHSOBNO4
    • Chill62
      Decided to fish Big Detroit saturday with a buddy.  Had bites but my 24 v 75#  trolling motor couldn't keep me in place so that sucked.  When we left the access to go fishing I asked the young man how late they were open till so I could make it back in time to get washed since I was going to fish a different lake on Sunday morning with the nephews.  I will be here till 5:30!  Sounds good see you before 5!  Fishing sucked, Wind BLEW, RAIN SUCKED!  So we packed up at 4:30 drove to access get there around 4:40 and they are gone!  Hot on my heels is a local fishing guide and he wasn't happy also because he had the same game plan.  Was told that there would be one at Melissa till 5 pm religiously.  Got there by 4:55 and they were gone from that lake too.  I honestly don't feel comfortable enough to do a safe job washing since I don't have a pressure washer and I really don't want to spread the Zebra Mussels from lake to lake and I know it was only a few hours 5-6 but honestly whats the point of AIS being there if they don't stay till the house they are supposed to be?  There was an easy half dozen boat trailers still at the access so it wasn't like we were the only two left at the access.  
    • huskybass
      Had some fun Saturday morning crashing through the lily pads on a small metro lake.  2 fish over 5 lbs and every fish absolutely choked the bait.  All I want to do is throw top water now, haha.  Wish I had longer arms or a partner in the boat for a decent photo.  
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      I really hope they don't screw this place up. I love it out there and have done a lot of hunting there. I sure wish there were fewer horse trails. It shouldn't be so easy for hunters to access all the woods. That makes it harder to get away from the guys who want to hunt no more than 50 yds from a gravel road.    The dunes seems like a pretty special place to me. DNR does a lot of things that leave is scratching our heads, let's hope they manage this place properly. 
      Im staying at Arrowwood July 2-5 and looking to catch some 'eyes for a fish fry or 2. Never been to the area before so I dont have much to go by other than my overall knowledge of Walleye fishing elsewhere. Ill probably be fishing early mornings and dusk for obvious reasons, but also because my boat will be used for the majority of the days for entertaining the girlfriends family. Im open to fishing not only Darling, but Carlos and Le Homme Dieu as well. 

From what ive read and can see on Google Earth, the lakes are pretty clear, and from experience, usually means tough walleye fishing for this time of year. -I grew up fishing Woman Lake in the Longville/Hackensack area and that lake is as clear as they come. The only way we can snag some 'eyes in the summer is to fish the deep weed lines. Is that the approach I should be taking on these lakes? Does dragging rapalas across mid-lake flats produce? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin.
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      Ha, I've read stories about that lake being filthy. And I know about those warnings on the link you posted I just wonder if this stuff is blown out of proportion. Reason being I can't find any confirmed cases of people having mercury poisoning from eating freshwater fish. I know mercury poisoning does exist but can we really get it from fish? You'd think if we could then there would be cases down south where folks are eating catfish from the Mississippi.    We ate a few 30+" Pike during the ice season, I ate more than my wife, and I only did that from lakes that are safer according to DNR and MDH fish tissue surveys. I kept it to once a week for her and I ate the rest. I went over the one meal a week rule several times for myself, but then went a while without taking home fish while the season was closed. I'm not glowing yet haha.    I also don't understand why walleye are always the riskiest fish to eat per those surveys when Pike are above them on the food chain. 
    • h8go4s
      Surely they have a Terrova on the floor. Doesn't matter what size THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. Also, boat dealers have showrooms with all kinds of stuff mounted on boats.