Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Knute78

Scopes and Parallax?

4 posts in this topic

I have a scope which says it has a 50-yard factory-set parallax. I have read and somewhat understand the idea of what parallax is and how it affects what movement we see from the retical to the target but do not understand what it exactly means in a real world hunting situation.

I know shot-guns, rimfires, and muzzzleloader scopes parallax are generally set at 50 and rifle scopes at 100, and some can be adjusted if purchased with that option.

Does a scope with a 50 or 100 yrd factory setting mean I should sight the scope in at those ranges or can I sight them in for whatever ranges I feel comfortable to shoot?

Any helpful information is appreciated on what to sight a gun in at with a 50 yrd parallax. Or am I just making a big fuss about nothing?

Not an issue. Sight it in at what ever distance you normally use and go hunting.

Set it in any distance you want. All it means is that you will get the clearest view at those preset distances, but I haven't notice any differences whether it's 100 or 300 yards on my rifle scope. Must be a bad eye. grin.gif

Thanks guys. I sighted in at 100yrd and cannot notice anything that might be a problem.