Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huskie

DEER AREA 167-Wood man, some ?????.

6 posts in this topic

Woodman or anyone for that matter. But I know Woodman hunts in 167--- has anyone been doing any scouting to the east of 46, between Island and Shallow Pond lakes? We have hunted for years back in the Wagner Lake area and the past few years have been less and less productive. I have seen more evidence of wolves over the years and a gentleman who has a cabin in the area has seen very little deer or sign this past summer. He had heard of predator problems in that area, any confirmation or thoughts on that. Will not get up to scout ourselves until out annual Winnie fishing and grousing expedition in late Sept. or early Oct. and sometimes Mich Light gets in the way. Wonder if we need to look at plan B. Thanks.

I hunt in 168 and have been seeing a lot of the same things. And to top it off the DNR wants to reduce the amount of deer in these zones, cuz they feel there are too many. Talked to one guy last year who lives across the dirt road from where i hunt. he showed me the marks on his dog where he had to shoot at a wolf that was attacking his dog, and accidentally peppered his own dog a little.

Still waited to hear from Woodman. We may move to another area if that is what we find when we get up there.

Huskie,

I hunt in 167 and there are a lot of timber wolves around the area you are talking about. It also has quite a few deer around there too. I would give it a shot if I were you.

Good luck,

Kupcho

Kupcho: I think we will try 167 again this year. We will scout it out at least one time and hope to see a little deer sign. Where abouts in 167 do you hunt, without giving away your hot spot? Without a lottery in 167 I wonder if the number of hunters will increase, that could be good or bad!!!!

Huskie- Sorry about the delay in posts. I have been busy driving kids to events every night after school and then bed time stuff and then I am tired.

I was planning to head up to Northome this weekend and scout a little, but now our plans have changed for this weekend due to and electrician comming over to hook up our new hot tub.

When I get up there I will post results, and I am evan going to be putting out my trail cam to see what is in the areas of our stands this year. Last year we had lots of wolves, and only managed to shoot 2 deer out of 8 licenses.

Dad has been busy skinning bear at the neighbors house all season, so he has not had a chance to scout either. Evan though he has my 4-wheeler to hit the woods with.

Send me your email address and I will send you one when I get back from up there.

woodman at paulbunyan dot net grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Very nice walleye no matter how the picture came out! Do not see many of those each year!

We ended up keeping 9 walleyes and releasing 3 slot fish between 19" and 23".

Cliff

• LBerquist

Posted

Here's the proof of the 28" I told you about today cliff. Unfortunately this picture doesn't make this fish out to be nearly as impressive as she was in person. I'm gonna need to work on my selfie skills.

20160925_104541.jpg

2 people like this
    • my family and I new to the area this summer we have been fishing the shore lines around maple lake and have done.  I am not familiar with the are a around here, we would like to get a few more times and ideas or how to advice would be appreciated, I also have a 4 year old we are just introducing to the sport  i don't have and am not really in fishing catfish, just to get out a bit more before things freeze up 

thank you Mike in Crookston 

• bassbouncer

Posted

Interesting headline in the Virginia newspaper this morning. The Landing is being sued by past employees for not paying minimum wage, not paying overtime, and keeping up to 50% of the employees tips that were received via credit card. 

IMG_6155.JPG

• monstermoose78

Posted

8 hours ago, ZachD said:

if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

I am always up for bringing someone else with

• RoosterMan

Posted

Drove to Ely yesterday and there were some pockets of great color. I would definitely think next weekend would be worth the trip. 

2 people like this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I would say that we are about 1/4 into fall colors in this area.

Cliff

• perry p
      Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.
    • muskie-mike
      Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...
    • JBMasterAngler
      First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Very nice walleye no matter how the picture came out! Do not see many of those each year! We ended up keeping 9 walleyes and releasing 3 slot fish between 19" and 23". Cliff
    • LBerquist
      Here's the proof of the 28" I told you about today cliff. Unfortunately this picture doesn't make this fish out to be nearly as impressive as she was in person. I'm gonna need to work on my selfie skills.