Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish4fun

GUNFLINT TRAIL FISHING

3 posts in this topic

My husband and I will be fishing Gunflint, Sag, Northern Lights at the end of next week - our 7th year up the Trail. I am really jazzed to head out, does anyone have a recent fishing report for the area? BTW, I have been lurking through this site for a few years (and keeping my husband updated on reports of course!), this is only my second post. Thank you.....

From what I hear the bite is going to a deep minnow bite. Sorry thats all I can tel ya now.

fish4fun, glad to have you aboard.

Right about this time or year I switch from leechs and crawlers to minnows. With night time low temps hitting the 40's and 50s it cooling the surface water. That water is high in oxygen and the minnows relate to it, so do the eyes and its a seasonal movement you can always count on.

This transition from summer to the first stages of turnover will concentrate fish for a while. I'd look for structure or a break close to an inside flat connected to shore. Work that deep structure with jigs and troll the breaks during the day. Come evening start moving off the break and toward the flat trolling minnow harnesses or raps. If you can find a weed edge somewhere in there its all the better.