Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyewarrior

Can anybody top this true story

19 posts in this topic

Was fishing with 2 brothers in my boat running leadcore on boards. One bro catches the 1st fish of the day a 23" throw back at 8:30 am. He was running 1 of my plugs that I only have 2 of that color. After releasing fish we see that he didn't have the crosslock hooked and lost the plug overboard. We looked on the surface to see if we could find the plug with no luck, oh well, I have 1 other identical plug. Fast forward to 4:00 PM 11 eyes in the box and only 2 beers left. I bro says we could end a perfect day by catching our last keeper just as we run out of beer. At that time the bro that lost the plug in the morning (he's now running the identical plug that he lost earlier) says I got one. He reels the board in, when I go to unclip the board I see what I think is the plug that he has on his line hooked on the board. Wrong!! it's the plug that he lost 8 hours earlier. He reels in the fish ,a nice 18" er, after much laughter we take our last swallows of beer and head in. I dont know if I would believe this story unless I was there. What a perfect way to end the 1st fishing trip that the 3 of us had together this year. Thought it would be an interesting post to see what other true stories are out there

Can you pass on any wisdom of water depth and depth of the lures you were running.

18"

see 8-26-27 report

Way back in time on Leech my sister dropped my grandfathers favorite pole in the lake as we were slip bobber fishing for walleyes. As the afternoon went on the wind picked up and the anchor started too slip. When we finally picked the anchor up there was that pole caught on the anchor.

While fishing on LOTW this winter one of our group members WATCHED his dad's ice rod skid across the floor of the house and get sucked down the hole by a fish that I figured was a nice walleye. His only response to the shenanigans was "wow, it just slid across the floor and went down." Needless to say I was speachless until I got away from anyone who was a blood relation of his - then I found the words I wanted to say. The point is, a few hours later one of the rattle reels went off and I set the hook on what I thought was kind of a limp but very strong fish. As it turned out it was the nice walleye still conected to the ice rod. So guess who won biggest fish and most hardware award - me baby, me

i have been cut off while bobber fishing and later caught the same fish (walleye) and retrieved the lost jig. this has happend a few times.....tom fellegy

Quote:

i have been cut off while bobber fishing and later caught the same fish (walleye) and retrieved the lost jig. this has happend a few times.....tom fellegy

Tom this would refute the PETA claim that fish feel pain and thus fishing is barbaric and should be outlawed so by that logic you must be mistaken. wink.gif

Sorry this is not meant to bash PETA but it just struck me as funny as we had this discussion at work recently and I was told that fish WON'T bite again as their mouth would be in too much pain to do so.

I was fishing late ice for some pan fish a couple years back and lost my hook to a decent northern. A half hour later I hooked into another northern, this time I got the fish in. It was about 4-5 lbs and not only was my hook from earlier in his mouth, there were 4 other hooks in his lip. I took out all five hooks, filled my tackle box and let the girl back in the water. That fish reminded me of one of those kids from the cities with all those earrings in their lips. It looked pretty funny.

Last week I was fishing for bass with a crankbait. I had a hit and I struck only to find my line come sailing back with no lure attached. Must have been a good sized northern. As I looked to where it happened I noticed something surfaced on top of the water. I went over to find my crankbait floated up! Fish bit the line and missed the lure I guess.

About ten years ago I was up at a friends cabin on Cove Bay on Mille Lacs Lake. We were out in his grandfather's fishing boat with a 6Hp Johnson. As we were tooling around in the cove, the board that mounts to the transom cracked right where the motor mounts are. Unfortunately for his grandfather he did not have the motor connected to the boat other other than the clamps. As you can probably imagine, the motor decided to part ways with the boat. I about filled my pants when it happened, my friend on the other hand was in tears. We searched an hour or so for that motor, but we weren't able to locate it.

ice fishing two years ago...holes are set up in a line with the 2 holes over 3' away...I am watching one line on the aqua vu and i see a fish come in, small northern. I set the hook after it hits and it starts fighting and then it comes UP THE OTHER HOLE 3' AWAY! It starts thrashing on the floor of the shack and i gave it a kick back down the hole and then pulled it up the correct hole.

My buddy who was with said "I wouldn't have believed it if I wouldn't have seen it and I hardly believe it anyways!"

A few years ago I caught a 31" walleye on a thunderstick at LOTW. A short while later I lost the t-stick in some rocks. This was on one of the rocky reefs, about 28' deep. I didn't think much of it. Later, back at work, after relating the story of catching my biggest walleye, a guy says you retired that lure, didn't you? No, I lost it. What!!?? You dummy, you should have retired the lure and kept with the fish mount (I released the fish) or with the picture of the fish, he said. The more I thought about it, the more I wished I had retired the crankbait. So two weeks later I'm back at LOTW. Trolling again around the same reef. I don't remember what I was trolling with, a reef runner I think. Anyway, I snagged bottom. I worked it loose and reeled in. Lo and behold, I snagged the same thunderstick I had lost two weeks earlier. I now have that t-stick hanging from the frame of the picture of the walleye.

Dr. Walleye

Two Rainy Lake stories.

Catching smallies on a rock pile. One of the guys breaks one off under the boat. About 20 minutes later I caught the same smallie since it had his hook in it.

Lindy riggin' for walleyes. A guy in the boat has a bite and breaks off the fish on the hook set. A little while later another guy has a bite and lands the fish. His hook point went through the eye of the swivel of the leader that was broken off earlier.

HAVE CAUGHT MANY SALMON WITH BAITS ATTACHED TO THERE MOUTHS I REALLY DONT THINK ITS A MATTER OF MOUTH PAIN RATHER HUNGER PAIN.

I had a walleye on Oct 8th that slammed my rapala which had a lead jig hooked in its mouth. Not sure there's much pain felt when they're that aggresive.

I was fishing with some buddys and we kept about 10 fish, after getting back to my dock I noticed that one made it into the livewell that was too big to keep, about 3 pounds, so I slipped it back into the lake, commenting on a scar above its left eye.

My wife and I were fishing two days later and she caught a 3 pound fish and stated that it was the same fish I released two days earlier, I downplayed it since I released it off our dock which is 3 miles from where we were fishing.

Three weeks later I catch the same fish, scar and all. Another month later we are out with friends and I hook-up with a nice fish and my line breaks, only to have my wife catch the same exact fish with my broken line still in his upper lip. The fish was hooked 5 times on the exact same spot, with the same bait, over the course of less than three monthes. Talk about a death wish.

It was on a walleye trip to Ontario. My uncle was fishing with his buddy and his buddy's 12 year old daughter. Sure enough, she got bored and set her rod down, which happened to be a $240 G-Loomis, and sure enough it got pulled right in the lake. Needless to say, her dad was pretty upset, but they rigged her up again and got on with fishing. About two hours later they came back to that spot, and my uncle reels up what he said felt like a big weed, but it was moving a little bit so he was confused. Turns out he snagged the rod through the end eye, with the 21" walleye still on the hook.

Now this is amazing enough, but 7 years earlier he did the same thing on Leech Lake when his brother lost his rod overboard.

Those are some mighty fine tales. Here is mine. Quetico this past summer, tipped canoe (3 of us)while landing a decent walleye. Able to not lose that rod and fish which was released with help from the other canoe. Lost two other rods which were later jigged up and retrieved. That reef we were on is now named F4 reef. Use your imagination. WG

my brother was in northern ontario when he hooked a shirt, upon bringing into the boat he noticed a wallet still in the pocket- turned out to be his neighbors about 3 blocks away in the cities whom he had never met- yes he did return it

my grandfather who was notorius for fishing the same spots over and over even when on big lakes, was up on lac seul in ontario and lost a rod. the next year he snagged it trolling.