• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Hunter Bandwagon

Maximum12

I love to watch the opinions on this board. They swing more wildly & faster than Puckett used to hack at an outside, chin-high fastball.

Any of the Hunter-detractors want to come back out of the woodwork now that he's getting hot at just the right time? Or have y'all gone to hide in the same hole the Cuddyer-bashers have crept into? grin.gif

It'll be interesting to see if the Twins exercise his contract for next year - it's pretty steep for an OK offensive outfielder who's ankle has cost him at least a step in the outfield this year. On the other hand, he's a leader on the club & one of the guys who provides a spark to the team. I'm sure y'all remember what happened last year when he went down - the team went down, too.

I suspect the Twins will try to renegotiate his contract - maybe tack on a couple of years & back-load the contract, or do something creative so they don't have to sink $12M into their center fielder in 2007.

Take me down to the woodshed!! I beat on that man as much or more than anybody.... but I never heard you praising him when he was choking hard for the first four months of the year. He got the criticism he deserved, even a blind man would have seen that. smirk.gif

Hey, I told people that Hunter elevates his game against Chicago.

Im not a Cuddyer hater, I just said it seems like he often strikes out in big situations.

Hunter vs. Cuddyer? I'll take Torii...even though Cuddyer is a better value $$ wise.

When you wrote that Sled, I had my doubts (mainly 'cause I just don't know enough about Hunter other than the supreme defense he played in the past) but you were right-on with your prediction. He came back and has had a few "big" hits.

I will also say that I didn't realize the size of that guy - he is built bigger than I thought. When an all-star like him gets hot, you gotta stick with him 'cause those big hits really do lift the team.

Buzz, you have already been ready to eat crow on your Hunter-isms, no need to bend over anymore just 'cause a new Tori-supporter comes around. I know you only wish he would do MORE for the team given his $$$ but we all know that age and $$$ take away from even the greatest.

Kinda funky and drizzly here in Chi-town right now, but I hope that doesn't make it any harder for the Twins to use some brooms today to PUT ANOTHER ONE ON THE BOARD.

Hunter was driving me nuts before he went down with the injury. I swear he was on pace to set the record for most runners left on base in a season. With that being said, he does have respectable numbers this season even with missing a significant number of games. I tend to think had he not gotten injured he would have no longer been a member of the Twins.

In an interview the other night, he was saying that he changed his hitting during his rehab. Anyone else hear that interview? (I only saw part of it - I was doing the wife/mom thing and baking bars for the kid's church fundraiser.) If it is true, than the latest injury might be the best thing to happen to him.

From what I remember he just said he was sitting back and waiting on pitches a little more, seems to be working and at a good time I might add.

I'm trying to figure out why these pitchers are trying to throw fastballs on the inner half to Hunter. This won't last very long though. As soon as they start pitching him junk away on a regular basis it will be same old same old. I'm not saying I dislike Hunter but I wouldn't get too carried away with any compliments just yet.

I think Vavra needs to work with Hunter and Cuddyer on their balance. Some of their swings are absolutely pathetic! Also, there are times when they both decide they are going to swing at the next pitch no matter what and generally the results aren't good.

I do however like both these guy's for their clubhouse leadership and their ability come through in the clutch(occasionally).

Hunter is what he is. How he has played and how he is playing now are two totally different things, but it should surprise nobobdy.

He is a VERY streaky hitter that when hot, can carry a lineup, and when cold, can be the last guy you want up in a clutch situation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Overall Torii gives you about the same thing every year.

He is consistently a .260-.270 hitter, 20-25 hr, and 80-100 rbi guy. He does strike out quite a bit, walks sparingly and has a pretty poor OBP, but he plays excellent center field defense(although he has been slowed quite a bit lately).

The reason people rag on him so much IMO is that he is being paid big-time and at the time he signed this big contract he was young and people thought he was the next Kirby Puckett which he is not.

The big question is: is he worth the big money that it's going to take to keep him around?

I say we either pay him the 12 for next year as I think we will have a chance at a title, or try to re-work him into a long-term deal at about 7-8 mill a year.

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out why these pitchers are trying to throw fastballs on the inner half to Hunter. This won't last very long though.

His big three run homer this weekend was a low outside pitch and he did exactly what he was supposed to do with it.

His homerun down the left field line was a low pitch he went down to get.

What makes this hot streak different from his others is that he is driving pitches that most people can't handle with power. If this is a long lasting new approach at the plate, it will be a lasting difference. It is strictly mental lapses with Torii that gets him swinging wildly. His physical approach is fine.

If he could just not jump on the very first pitch he sees so often, I think he would be a much more effective hitter and not have to be defensive at the plate. Pitchers know when there are guys on base he is going to swing at the first thing they whip up there, no matter where it is . He always does and kills rallys too often. He is not worth 12 mil a year. He is a good player, but not a perennial all-star (yes, I know he has 4-5 gold gloves). But he is not worth 12 mil a year. I would like to see him stay for another year or two at a lesser salary and that way they can slowly move Span into the position, or spot duty for Tyner/Rabe/Span if Hunter moves on.

Hunter is as average as J. Jones. The Twins should send him and his big contract down the road.

Hunter is not average in the field no matter how you look at it. He is the best fielding center fielder in baseball. You can't compare him to Jones. Hunter just needs to get his approach straightened out at the plate. He has every physical tool you ever need.

You can get Hunter like production from almost any AAA prospect. The only difference is his glove and I don't think he gets enough "extra or spectacular" put-outs to justify the money. 12 million could land you a very good pitcher that may get 6 k's a game (thats 5-6 more than Silva is getting) 6 outs a start is much better than one spectacular catch every 2 weeks.

I think the biggest problem is the Twins think that Hunter is a fan favorite and a PR mess if they let him go. Which I disagree with. I think M & M and Johan/Liriano are the new faces of the twins. And I like seeing teh new young guys on the roster. Reminds me of the old Get to Know Em' campaign.

Its only going to be 12 million for one year, then Hunter will need a new contract at a much lower salary.

You have Radke's money and Lohse's money already plus Stewart is gone so you will have his money. I don't think money will be the issue for this offseason. Who would you put in centerfield if we lose Hunter? We have 2 open outfield spots then, do you want to see Tyner and Ford as the replacements? Ford is much worse then Hunter but you will get him cheap and for a reason to.

Quote:

You can get Hunter like production from almost any AAA prospect.

Are you serious? confused.gif

He is batting .273, with pace for 87 RBI's, and 26 HR's while missing about 15 games. What AAA prospects are going to give you that?

Among outfielders he is 21st in HR's, 40th in runs and 24th in RBI's. If each team carries 5 OF players that means he is more productive than at least 110 of them. That is a whole lot of guys to be replaced by AAA prospects and I don't think any of them are coming in with Gold Gloves in their futures.

He might be overpaid but if he had minor league talent that is exactly where he would be.

It seems I read somewhere that Ford is eligible for arbitration or free agency and the Twins will not bring him back next year. We will need Hunter. He can out-throw JJones left handed. He will never be great, but at the prices ballplayers are getting, he is a bargain.

NOBODY is worth $12mill in my opine....that comes out to more than $74,000 per scheduled game which I feel is reeeeeedickless, and Yes, I'm jealous.

No one may be worth it but it doesn't mean no one gets it.

Thats pro sports in a nut shell.

Torii's been my favorite player pretty much since he came up, but he definitely is a streaky hitter. His offensive numbers are second level power hitter numbers, very respectable & you need them, but rarely All-Star caliber. Defensively he's a cut above anybody else in the league, there are a few close, but very few.

I'd agree he's not worth $12 million by baseball standards, but we do need him. I think he & the Twins would both be smart to look at 3-4 years at 7-8 per year & tear up the old one with the option. Is it really worth it for him to go somewhere else & start over for a few million more when he'd still be looking at say a $30 million contract to stay here? That would be more than fair & I think he could live very comfortably on that. I can't speak for everybody of course, but I know I personally don't only consider the most money when I decide where I want to work. I expect a fair wage, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd work for the highest bidder, everything else being truly equal of course, but when are they? I agree we are going to have some money available this year, but we probably need to add one good starter & then I'm assuming Mourneau & Cuddyer will be having to get a pretty good pay hike soon, although probably not this year.

Hunter tends to get under my skin because he's so dang over aggressive. He swings at anything, can't seem to move runners over, and is generally an easy out if pitchers have done their homework. He hits the mistake pitches and that's about it. To his credit, his defense is great. His offensive numbers aren't terribly impressive since he is always in the middle of the lineup. If he goes, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to hear the same Eddie G. sob story about how he had no choice in staying or going. These ballplayers insult us when they say they have to take the money. Remember Sprewell? Personally, I'd rather see him go than get more money. Let Kubel or some other young guy have a chance. I don't believe Hunter is a franchise type player. Never has been.

Whatever you might think of Hunter, & I think well of him, he would never have missed that ball in center field tonight before he broke his ankle. I thought he'd lost a step - he might have lost two or three. I didn't think there was any way he wouldn't get to a ball up in the air that long. Maybe a move to right or left wouldn't hurt him if he can't move full speed the rest of the season.