• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

is it legal?...

fasternu

I am just wondering if it is legal to put a portable stand on a power pole? I have been checking out an area where I have seen lots of deer, and was thinking about putting my portable on a power pole at the edge of a clearing. Who would be able to tell me if it is ok?

Call the power company.

I wanted to put woodduck houses on poles behind the house, and they allowed me to do that, as long as I only put them up as I as I could reach without using a ladder. Basically just stand on the ground to put them up.

I have a few places where I figured it was a good place to put up a climber but did not know if it was O.K.

I used to work as a power company as summer help and I seriously doubt they would allow you to put a stand on their poles. It just isn't really safe and some of the poles are older and have core rot even though they look good on the outside. If you tried to climb a pole like that it would break and hurt or possibly kill you. They usually don't even like their lineman to free climb unless they have no other way to get to the top of the pole.

Quote:

I am just wondering if it is legal to put a portable stand on a power pole? I have been checking out an area where I have seen lots of deer, and was thinking about putting my portable on a power pole at the edge of a clearing. Who would be able to tell me if it is ok?

I going to assume that this is a serious post.

It's a power pole. It is private property owned by the power company. We start with the legal part of it, say you fall off and injure yourself, you shoot someone, You get yourself fried on the pole.

[Note from admin: This post edited. Please read forum policy before posting again.]

I work for a power comapny, and without going into company policy, I am going to try to answer your question seriously, but in MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION. The structure itself is the property of the power company, so I wouldnt be going and attaching anything to it. The right of way could be privately owned, publically owned, or owned by the power company. I believe that as long as you have permission to hunt there, then there is no problem with hunting on the right of way (But not from the pole!).

(Unless you like to target practice on insulators, which is then criminal property damage)

On a more common sense note, please dont ever attempt to climb up a power line structure at all, period. High voltage is very unforgiving... In 15 years I have seen more than my share of people seriously injured or killed because they did something they shouldnt have around a power line.

On a similar note, I saw this same thing done once on a very popular tv hunting show. The guy in that case was waaaay up the structure and way to close to the high voltage conductors. I was appaled at seeing something that irresponsible aired on tv. I really should have sent them an email or letter...

I'll just say don't do it. Any electrian correct me if I'm wrong. Elecdtricity is someting like water, it seeks the easiest route to follow. No matteer how meny precautions the power company takes, it can and will jump accrose open spaces to seek that route. Meny people have been killed with the voltage within a house, what is even a short shot of high votage going to do for you if you are on the pole it decides to travel down. I have a nephew that works in a cabnet factory and with in the last two weeks one ofhis co-workers was going to cange blades on a plane. He did everythimg right to shut it down and lock it out so nobody could turn the power on. But because the humidity and dust conditions were just rite, the electricity jumped accross the switch, turned the planer on and it took a few of his fingers. I know this got long but just plain do not hong a stand on a power pole.

The answer to your ? is a NO.2 years ago i had my ground blind tied off to the power pole during muzzy season.I lost my blind and was left a note.I just figured it was a lesson for me i never contacted the phone number left on that note.Figured i might get in more trouble then the blind was worth