Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moby1

crappies on fish lake in MG

3 posts in this topic

Ive taken a break from throwing muskie baits a couple of times lately to fish bass and crappies. Has anyone else been to fish lake in Maple Grove and seen the thousands of dead crappies floating all over the place? Is it an oxygen issue or ???? Though there are tons floating, they are all 4-6" and nothing bigger. All I have caught are the same size as well

Moby1 - I was out on Fish about a week ago and also noticed quite a few dead crappies floating. Not sure what caused it, but I do have to say the water quality in Fish seems to be getting worse every year. I live less than a mile from the lake and have been fishing there since I was a little kid, so I've really noticed the decline. I'm guessing part of it is due to the fertiziler folks are using right up to the water's edge on their lawns. As for the crappies, there a few nice ones in Fish, but like you said the majority are pretty small.

This is an occurence every spring and summer on lakes all over the state.

It happens for a couple different reasons, and most wide spread cases typically only affect Crappies.

When it seems to only impact smaller fish, it's easier to shrug off. But I have seen cases where numerous slab fish appear on the lakes surface, and that gets frusterating.

One small pond on located private property winter killed one time years ago, and in the spring, it revealed Crappies in the 14" range, Bluegills at the 9 inch mark, Walleyes up to 26", and Pike that pushed the upper 30's that dwelled in a small puddle that even the owners of the property said "I never knew...."

The "puddle" turned out to be 30 feet deep, as one winters investigation proved.

That's a bummer, but Ma' Nature is in control.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• bowhuntingboy1
      It was on the opener last year.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Frazer Bay is as far as I venture West but that bay can be very good at times. I prefer Lindy Rigs with a 5' leader,#2 or a #4 hook, red or green bead by the hook, and a 3/4 oz. sinker. That time of the summer minnows and leeches work best but do not be afraid to try 1/2 crawler on this rig! Like PSU said, look with your electronics for the fish, then fish for them! 12" to 32" depths. Cliff
    • LoonASea
      Fished the big lake this morning ,,, Weather didnt start out nice but the fishing more then made up for it ,,, Got my first double and triple in the new rig today ,,, There is a lot of mud covering this side of the lake but finding clear to tea colored water paid off ,,,Natural colored sticks took a majority of hit today and the cohos have grown 5 inches in the last month ,,, I had one 23 inches today 
    • Fish Head
      Welcome to our Forum Muzzy!  You may want to consider hiring a guide for a day or even 1/2 day to start your trip.  They can give you a lot of good information that will help you put fish in the boat for the rest of your trip. Cliff & Casey are regular contributors here and members of the Lake Vermilion Guides League.  https://lakevermilionguidesleague.com/.    Good Luck!
    • PSU
      Hello Muzzy,   Lots of good spots close to Oak Narrows. I will let the experts pipe in, but I've been doing well in 20-30 feet of water in the Frazer / Smarts Bay area. I would trust your sonar and find spots off reefs and follow down to 20-30 feet. Either jig or Lindy has been working for me with a Rainbow minnow 
    • Mike89
      2nd Lucas thoughts
    • BulldogInTC
      Finally making it up this weekend to the cabin since January.  Looks like hit and miss weather conditions over the weekend, but I'm hoping to get some decent time in the boat...as long as the father-in-law isn't cracking the whip too hard  . That's good to hear about the success in Frazier, Matt.  Always seems like we are fighting for walleyes, but I'm hoping to change that and try a few new spots this weekend.  Hope everyone has a safe and good fishing holiday weekend.
    • Muzzy33
      We are from Indiana (land of terrible eye fishing). Staying in a cabin in the oak narrows June 3-10.  This is our fourth year fishing the big V, but have always fished the westside.  Never had great walleye fishing yet.  We normally stay father on the westside like around wolf Bay or Norwegian, so we wanted to find a cabin closer to the Eastside.  Figured the narrows would be closer so we can fish spots on the west side that we've already learned and also venture to the east where I've heard the walleye fishing is better for keeper walleyes.  I'm looking for any tips or locations to try.  Maybe someone could help us out.  It would be much appreciated.  Thank you
    • Muzzy33
      We are from Indiana (land of terrible eye fishing). Staying in a cabin in the oak narrows June 3-10.  This is our fourth year fishing the big V, but have always fished the westside.  Never had great walleye fishing yet.  We normally stay father on the westside like around wolf Bay or Norwegian, so we wanted to find a cabin closer to the Eastside.  Figured the narrows would be closer so we can fish spots on the west side that we've already learned and also venture to the east where I've heard the walleye fishing is better for keeper walleyes.  I'm looking for any tips or locations to try.  Maybe someone could help us out.  It would be much appreciated.  Thank you
    • Sherman
      Holland