• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annual Canada trip BUSTED... Literally. Where should we go in Minnesota?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All...

Here's the Reader's Digest version... Our group now has a member that will NOT be allowed into Canada (our annual destination) due to a recent DWI. We've all decided to keep this years trip state side rather than try and roll the dice at the border.

Our equipment limits us to fairly small or sheltered waters as the largest boat in our "fleet" is a 17'er sportin' a 75.

Our usual lake in Canada provides walleyes, pike and lakers. We're used to 30 to 40 fish days (eyes on good days) with a good sized kicker thrown in once and a while...

We usually camp or RV it but a few of our party have "threatened" to take their wives/girlfriends with this time around so a cabin or two may come in handy. We usually arrange the trip for June, but a few of us would like to do a fall trip to "check things out" for the rest of the "family".

So what do you think? Can you folks help me find this needle in a haystack?

We stop going to Canada many years ago. What we do and you may want to try is take a vacation at home. This means that you start every morning meeting at a truck stop or restaurant for breakfast and you pick two lakes to fish for the day, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. You go and fish these lakes and at the end of the day you go home to get up and do it again the next morning. YOU DO NOT ANSWER THE TELEPHONE, YOU DO NOT READ YOUR MAIL, YOU DO NO HOUSEHOLD PROJECTS..YOU ARE ON VACATION the money you would spend on cabin or motels is spent on gas. You have to eat anyway so that is not a factor. You will be very surprised how well you can do fishing in your own neck of the woods, Think of it people come your way to vacation.. Just an idea for you, we have done it for many years and have really had some good times. Picking lakes can be the hardest thing and we just toss names in a hat and draw. Good luck.

If it's about good times catchin' and not keepin', why not go to Red Lake and fish. You should be able to get 30-40 fish days fairly easily in May and early June. There are some nice new cabins on the lake. You can drive to alot of other lakes within 50 miles if you want to fish something different or smaller...

Good Luck!

Ken

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Cass Lake chain would fit the bill. It's broken up enough that you really don't need to have a big boat most days. Lots of eyes, pike, jumbo perch. Good panfish with some skis tossed in.

A few of us guys go to Rainy Lake every year and fish the US side. I have a 16' w/90HP and friends have a 17' w/60HP and no problems as long as you use common sense.

Our trips are usually later though - late June, early July. The problem this year was too many fish larger than the slot and took us a while to find some eaters. Lots of 3-5lb 'eyes made for fun fishing.

Quote:

The problem this year was too many fish larger than the slot and took us a while to find some eaters. Lots of 3-5lb 'eyes made for fun fishing

'Tain't nothin' wrong with that, ey! Thought I'd try my old northern Minnesota accent. It's been a while, you know.

Bob

Well let's see...

Vermilion Lake

Pelican Lake

Cass Lake

Leach Lake

Winnibigoshish

Mille Lacs

and all the smaller lakes in between.

I cannot say enough good things about Houseboat trips on Rainy Lake. I have been going up anually for the last 4 years.

Boats have all the luxuries of a cabin and it floats to where ever you would like!!! Friends of mine have boats like you describe and do just fine as long as you use your head.

This year fishing was the best I have ever had.

We use Rainy Lake Houseboats, but I would imagine the other outfits provide a similar experience.

Matt

It's be tough to beat a week on Rainy LAke - Rainy Lake Houseboats run a first class operation, and they'll make sure to put you on fish - it's part of the deal.

My suggestion is also with what Midnight and 83 said. The idea is Rainy Lake one way or another. Gotta love the slot. Those endless numbers of 18"-22" fish with the occasional bigger one. Gets awful tiring. But you get over it. Latter part of June is good. I have not tried it in the fall, but a GUY should.... Good Luck. WG

I dont think that just because you have a DWI that you cant go to Canada. A friend of mine just got turned down at the border because his girlfriend had a DWI. They told them that if she would watch a drinking and driving film that they could continue. The only draw back is the movie cost $200. I dont know if that clears you for future trips or you have to watch the movie each time you go. Might be worth a phone call to find out the skinny scoop.

a "few" of our guys have had dwi's, we have never had a problem. follow their rules. it is another country..

• 2 weeks later...

moose hunter,I know the feeling except in our party I'm the one w/the dui I have been going for 15yr straight theres ways to get it cleared though.try lake of the woods, your rigs big enough to fish that lake.good luck

If you are interested in getting through, or your friend through the border with no issues. There is a way to do it, you need to fill out a form and you basically are asking the canadian govt for a pardon for your actions. It takes about 6 weeks from start to finish. Some it works for and some it doesn't but it's worth a shot