Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobOmaha

Scum Frogs...

6 posts in this topic

I've not been a member of this forum very long, but REALLY enjoy everybody here. I know that I won't ever get to meet everybody, but would like to... grin.gif

My vacation starts in two weeks (9/9-16), and we've decided to stay at a resort on 8th Crow Wing. If you live in the area, or going to be in the area at that time and would like to meet for a cup of coffee and fishin' chat, please contact me at bob.cody@coxNOSPAM.net. (remove the "no spam")

Now about SCUM FROGS...

I could probably ask this on the species-specific forum for bass... but would rather ask my friends HERE.

There have been some previous posts about "Scum Frogs". Before participating here, I had never heard of them... but have found them on the Internet. But now I have some questions:

What SIZE do you "Scummers" use? (I've only seen the 5/16oz.)

I would assume that GREEN works best?

There are other 'similar' frogs in the market... Mann's Super Frog, Snag-Proof, etc. They seem to be more readily available... are they as good?

Looking forward to hearing from you SCUMMY-users out there!

We've got a place on 11th. September should be a good time to be up on 8th.

I just bought a 1/2 oz "trophy" scum frog with the dark green back and chartruese legs. I tried it out this weekend for the first time as we have some thick lily pads on our shoreline. Second cast, blam-o, nice top water exlosion! I had difficulty waiting the two seconds before setting the hook. It seems like a long time but it worked. Not a huge bass, but it sure was fun.

I took someone's advice and added some shot inside to give it more weight and some rattle. This lure appears to be great for bass and will probably be dynamite for big pike once it really cools off.

Found some Scum Frogs at WAL-MART of all places!!! Noticed that they are VERY similar to the Snag-Proof versions. (But the Scummies were cheaper! grin.gif)

When fishing the Snag-Proof ones in the past, have had trouble with them rolling over (hook-points down) and then catching on the pads/weeds, etc. Same problems with the Scummies??

Does the added weight still allow them to float? (if you only used a little weight) Does the weight help it to float "upright"?

Bob,

Hey how it going? The scum frogs do not have that problem. These things are great, I usually use the Dark Green and the light Green those seem to work the best. But a couple of other colors work to, you got the white body with the red and white skirt, another is a white and green with a frog looking under belly with white and yellow skirt. September should be really good topwater action up in the pads. Make sure you put your pictures of all the big bass you get on this site. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad

Well keep in mind I've only casted this thing maybe 8 or 9 times, so others might know better. I didn't really have a problem with snagging pads though.

I dropped a couple of tiny bullet weights inside to help with casting and rattle (maybe 1/16" each?). That option is up to you, it would probably work just fine w/o them. It still floated head up, hooks underneath. I suppose the hooks could then catch from time to time, but pretty rarely.

Thanks (and Scummy-Brad too)!!

Wally-World didn't have that many colors, but stocked-up on what they had!! grin.gif