Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matthothand

Off to Algoma

15 posts in this topic

A few more hours and we're on the road to Algoma for some bad weather and hopefully great fishing. ...the forecast calls for rain to some degree for the next 4 days. I'm going with Capt. Blaine and a non-FMer (we'll get him on the site soon). Just thought I'd do a pre-departure post. Has anyone else been out on Michagan this summer? If so, share some pics with us and let us know how it was for ya. Hopefully I'll have some beauties to show off in a few days. Everybody have a good weekend and good fishing!

My cousin and three uncles went out of Algoma a week ago and brought back 130 lbs of salmon fillets. Lots of good eatin' in LaCrosse right about now for those guys. I don't know any other details about the trip, though. I have some images from the trip that they sent, but they are kill images of guys lined up along rows of salmon, and don't meet the standards for pic posting on FM.

Good luck boy's wish I was there?

It's said we have a great lake in our back yard and we have to travel to get fish? Well must go where the fish are so good luck to all that go cool.gif.

We went out of Sturgeon Bay for our first time and got a few biggest was right around 20 pounds. Get up early and fish tell 10 then come back at 4 and fish tell dark. We caught a lot of fish on a red e chip flasher with a fly.

Matt, I was just over there a week and a half ago. Things change so much there with the weather just like here as you well know. Make sure to have a few glow Moonshine spoons and light them up for early hours. Good luck!

We made it back alive. After the wrong turn and blown tire on the boat trailer and the burning boat and ten footers. When we arrived we were greeted with terrible conditions. Rough seas for most of the trip especially for a 17.5 foot boat. We caught a few fish each outing but weren't able to fish much of the prime time due to weather. We caught fish in 5-9 foot waves in the evenings and made it out for the morning bite this morning. Managed 14 fish total with 2 over 20 lbs. It was a fun trip but we didn't get the kind of fishing we were looking for until the weather set up better. We held our own and got a taste of what to expect for next year.

here's a couple pics of two of my fish

s5030397xk1.th.jpg

s5030415zf2.th.jpg

Good job Matt! Reminds me of our first trip there. Sure is frustrating driving so far only to find monster waves stareing you in the face. But, that's the roll of the dice you have to take to go there. We have made a contact with a local that know's most of the charter Captains and he updates us when we go. Unfortunately with the gas prices I have to bow out this year. We have our bi-annual Saskatchewan waterfowl trip this fall and I can't afford both. Did you happen to bring any of that great venison burger jerky that you told me how to make? Good stuff dude! Later. BC

Nice fish Matt. Here I thought the weather was only crappy when I go over there grin.gif

BC, I'm a huge waterfowl hunter. Would like to here some details of your hunt up there. I imagine you shoot a bunch of snows. What other kind of birds do you get up there? I can't wait till friday to start banging some honkers here.

Matt,

Nice looking fish. I go to Door County to fish every year and I've run into the same thing. Wind blowing, waves rocking and your standing in the back of the boat trying to net a 20lb fish for your buddy. It's hard enough trying to keep from falling over board. It still beats the heck out of work!

Ran, if you mail me at mlayne@isp.com I will give you all the details of our Canadian trips. BC

BC, I tried to e-mail you it got bounced back.

Ran I fixed BC's address.

Matt, nice trip. Sounds like you made the best of it and were rewarded.

Thanks Frank, got it. Is JR still walking around with that big laker smile cool.gif

Thanks guys. And no BC i didn't bring any jerky. If the winds blows like it is now and i can't be on the big pond all weekend i'll have to make up one last batch from last season's stock. ...Seems like it only goes hard east when i decide to go fishing.

Hey, believe me pal, you're not the only one that has been beat by the big girl! I am planning on being out there sometime this weekend so take note, all you fisherman that want to hit the lake this weekend, BC wants to go which equals strong east winds. Ya don't need N.O.A.A. to tell ya what the winds will be. That's for sure! grin.gif BC