Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SureShot

Next week on Mille Lacs - any advice for a newcomer?

5 posts in this topic

I finally convinced my wife to rent a cabin on Mille Lacs for our anniversary with assurances we'd catch fish on this lake. Now I need your advice! We have a cabin rented near Garrison Sat Aug 26th to Sept 2nd and I'm looking to be on the water every day weather permits my little 17 footer with 40 horse to float. Any advice on location, lures, time etc near Garrison would be appreciated.

Haven't been up for a few weeks myself, but you can usually get good advice at Lundeens Bait or visit their website Thursdays for up-dates at www.lundeens.com. Your best bet this time of the year might be slip bobbers with light jigs & leeches on the shallow rocks at night, or try some Muskie fishing along the North Shore weeds.

I have not slip bobber fished on Mille Lacs. How do you set up your tackle? Use a jighead or a floating jig below a sinker? What type or color of jigs are effective?

No problem.....

Anybody that sells em can show you whether it's Lundeens, Meleens, Tutt's in Garrison or Cabelas. You have a slip knot on top, a bead Those stop the bobber at a specific depth, the bobber a weight and the hook or jig. Just like using one to panfish, you want to get the proper size to do the job and not create too much resistance. Some have a light built in or others you can add a light stick. Have a great week!

You can never go wrong with orange or chart. jig head. Some times a plain red #6 Gami works better than anything. Find some shallow rocks 6' or so, anchor away from rocks & wait. If you dont catch anything for 20 min or so move! I usually wont spend more than a 1/2 hour on any spot with out a walleye bite. It seemed that in the last week you'd catch perch, bass and an ocassional eye. If you aren't catching trash fish within 10 min move. Hope this helps