Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EatSleepFish

grouse plot

3 posts in this topic

was thinking of making the edges of the fourwheeler trail that runs through my land into a "miniplot". was thinking of planting clover, but was wondering if anyone has had luck with anything else for attracting grouse. thanks

I suppose it depends on what time of year you are trying to attract them. In my neck of the woods if I want to find grouse in the early season I start looking for gray dogwood or highbush cranberrys. Grouse also love just about any fruit bearing tree you can think of. Right before the snow comes wild strawberry leaves are also a delicacy for grouse. They are one of the last green things in the woods. In winters without much snow cover nice thick pines that offer shelter from the wind and cold can't be beat.

All 'grouse treat's aside, if you really want to draw gouse to your property, clear cut sections of it and plant aspens. Shooting or trapping every predator on the place wouldn't hurt either.

Clover and dogwoods.