Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Tranny guru

8 posts in this topic

I have a 200 explorer that has begun to show some signs of tranny problems. It has 83k miles. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd it doesn;t shift smooth, the engine revs about 200-400 rpms as it shifts, the rest of the shifts are normal. Then after about 10-15 miles the Over Drive light on the dash begins to blink. I don;t have an owners manula and my haynes manual says toi change filter and fluid, and if that doesn't solve it to take it to a tranny shop.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I can do to fix it myself. I have tools and I am not afraid to use them.

BTW, this is the same explorer that blew a head gasket two months ago that I rebuilt myself and runs better than ever now. (Except for the tranny)

Whew. I was a bit worried when I saw that title

You sure jumped on it quick though. blush.gif

Yep. Tranny flush, filter, and refill.

Is it bright red still? Smell burnt at all?

Does it shift hard from 1st to 2nd under heavy acceleration or still wind slightly?

New tranny fluid is still red, same symptoms.

still might be worth a shot pulling the pan and

checking the filter, if it looks good... then

you in for some expensive repairs...

bbqhead

Don't bother with a fluid change, your going to loose it all when the trans comes apart again. It sounds like you may have had a valve body problem, it may have progressed into some hard part failures. This needs to go to a reputable transmission shop for proper diagnosis.

At that many miles the pan should have been dropped and filter changed. The filters tend to plug up. But if the light is flashing there should be a code stored in memory that can be retrieved and give you a better idea of what might be wrong. There also is a transmission range sensor that seams to cause some weird problems also.