Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
graybeard2

Great week in Villard

7 posts in this topic

We just spent our annual week at Canary Beach at Villard, and I don't know how it could have been much better. Weather was great all week, and the fishing was wonderful. Usually fished northern and bass early and late day, and sunfish during the day. Fished Leven mostly as the panfishing seemed to be better over there. We caught many sunnies in the 8" range, which is a pretty nice fight on a light rod. Man, if I could clear it with the wife, we'd move to that area in a heartbeat.

Great to hear! I will be staying at Canary Beach in 2 weeks over Labor Day weekend. We stayed there for about 10 straight summers in the 80's/90's, but I haven't been there in about 12 years.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Krafts, who bought the place 2 or 3 years ago have done a lot of improving on the cabins, office and area in general. I always liked the previous owners, but Harold and Rosemary have done some nice things and are very friendly also. If you leave your boat in the water overnite, look out for the muskrats! My brother left his old fiberglass runabout on the beach a couple nights, and the darn things crawled in and chewed thru his gas line and tore up some of his upholstery. He even got out on the middle of the lake one morning, and one came crawling out of hiding somewhere. He was on a muskrat mission the rest of the week. He got three of them, but on the last nite, one got in again and gave him a going-away present. Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip, and am looking forward to seeing a report.

Does anybody have any recent reports for Villard or Leven? I'll be heading up there Friday. Thanks!

I don't have any recent fishing reports for ya, but I stopped out at the cabin on Villard last weekend and the lake is really low right now. I'd say its down at least a couple of feet. We usually do pretty good with panfish this time of year though. Good Luck.

Thanks. I haven't fished there in almost 20 years and never in the fall. It should be interesting...

Well, we spent a very wet weekend up there with decent results. The water levels on Villard and Leven were down quite a bit.

We fished Villard for about 7 hours Friday (a few hours in the rain) with poor results--small sunfish, a couple of small bass, and a couple northerns.

We spent all day Saturday and Sunday on Leven and got dumped on most of the time. The fishing was much better though. We caught a lot of nice sunfish and several crappies (mostly small), and several small northerns. I also managed a bonus 15+" walleye while crappie fishing.