• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bayfront Blues Boat Accident

I'm guessing that's just short/north of the Superior poop plant. Anyone else?

I think that one may have been right by Barkers island, I heard the Coast guard salvaging 2 boats yesterday morning. Do ya think there was alcohol involved ? Last week somebody hit a red can in the channel doing about 25 mph at night. popped the front deck open line a can opener had been used. He was lucky nobody was hurt. People have to use some common sense. You don't run the river in the dark, if you have only been on it a couple of times. You never know when there are going to be logs floating in the river. That boat looks like it run aground.

Nice Pic Lota.

There is a report in the Trib about a 25 footer that hit the wall by the port terminal Saturday night four people were injured, three were treated and released from the hospital with one in critical condition. Alcohol was reportedly involved.

This is why we should not drink and drive there where mom and dad and a 21 month old on the boat. The dad went to jail for a DWI not good but they all are fine thank god...

This is not big drift its his wife. To let you know the whole story the boat is my sister and brother in laws. Yes HE was drinking yes HE went to jail for 12 hours. That is where the rest of the story is wrong...there were 3 kids on the boat and 4 other adults along with my sister and brother in law. No body got hurt other than some bruises. I know because the bruises were on my sister. ALL the kids had their lifejackets on and they werent hurt at all. I know that what he did was really dumb and I did yell at him for it. The other adults in the boat kept telling him to slow down and to let someone else drive...he is a stubborn (Contact Us Please) sometimes and didnt listen. Well now he has a boat with problems, a really ticked off sister in law and disapointment from other people in his life. I am just glad that nobody died or got hurt really bad. We all make mistakes in life...this was just one that was bigger than most. I am not saying that he was right in drinking and driving with the kids in the boat I dont think thats being responsible but everyone has done something in their lives that they regret...this is his.

Thats all I am gonna say about it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

big drift, thanks for the clarification. There were 2 boating accidents and I think we're getting them mixed together here.

no problem but big drift didnt write it I did...I am his wife. There were 2 accidents and the other one was really serious...4 people in critical condition. The coast guard were going back and forth between the 2 of them...thank god that everyone in both accidents had life jackets on.

I'm a Paramedic for our great city of Duluth and I was on the scene of the crash with the 4 adults. Was not pretty! Thats all I can say.

The descriptions some of FM'ers gave as the boat was retreived from the lake were less than plesant...but...definately a reminder that drinking and driving (any type of vehicle) is not a smart idea. Drinking/Driving or driving after drinking...either way.

My condolences go out.

Mrs Big Drift -

I am glad your family / Friends turned out just fine from the boating accident. It is very unfortunate, but thankfully everyone is walking away from it.

I am so sorry for you and your family????? I think we should not drink at all and drive but some think they can well it shows it should not be done and as fare as kids go well we should not do it you where LUCKY IT WAS NOT DEETH THREATENING?????? Well I hope some see it is not worth the time and pain and to put people through this kind off pain safe boating to all. shocked.gif

All I know is if my kids were in a boat and the driver was drinking we would be out of it in a hurry or I myself would be driving! No excuse for this stuff! The drivers in both of the boats could have killed a lot of people out there. Im sad for the families of the passed but I have absolutely no tolerance for the drinking and driving to the extent they did. It was not just another mistake or error in judgement it was criminal!

I agree on getting out of the boat or other automobile...but where would they have gone? In the water? That wouldnt be safe for the kids seeing as how cold the lake can be. I also know that my sister tried to get my brother in law to let her drive and he wouldnt. I dont think that bashing him now is what we should be doing. We should just be glad that no one was hurt in this accident and let it be at that. I am not saying that what he did was the right thing but I am just glad that my family and extended family members werent hurt.

Mrs. Big Drift

I wasnt bashing him but I was expressing that I think what he did was very wrong. If he wouldnt let others drive or get off the boat it sounds like he is the type that needs a little "tough love".

I know you dont agree with what he did but your post came off as excusing or enabling his behavior. If it were me I wouldnt be hanging out with someone who puts so little value on others life.

Im sorry if I seem harsh but I have dealt with this on several occassions and almost daily on the job. I see absolutely no excuse for endangering peoples lives because you want to get drunk.

Thats what we were thinking at the landing when they brought the other boat in. I think the one in the picture above was towed to Barkers Island Marina.

I agree with Northlander. There is just no plausible excuse for drinking and driving, boats, atv, cars, etc. Some people have a tendency to minimize drinking and driving until something like this happens.

With all the education out there today about drinking and driving this is not just a mistake that someone makes, it is planned stupidity. Once a person takes a couple drinks they should not be driving and if they insist on driving passengers should insist on being let off. They should also pay the penalty of the law. If they get off with little consequences they only learn that they can get away with it.