Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ahc667

Island Lake

4 posts in this topic

Heading up to Island lake near Duluth in early September. Can anyone tell me where to start my muskie hunt? What kind of structure should I concentrate my efforts on? I know there are 2 accesses on the West basin, which one should I start with? Or should I start in the East basin?

What kind of baits usually work best, and in what colors?

If you have never been on the lake before, watch your lower unit. Rocks etc... in lots of places that you can hit and especially now with the water level down. Also has been some problems at the landings with vandilism. Vehicles have been getting windows smashed and broken into.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Sorgy
      as of 12/5 on the West end many small bays were wide open. Water levels are very high in the local rivers, swamps and I am guessing the lake. It is information that I received from a relative last night.   Be safe   Steve
    • Sorgy
      No never ever caught a walleye early on the West end. Go east to catch early walleye   We have not had a good slip bobber early season walleye bite in many years. Used to be able to catch them from the docks and rock points every spring. Easy fun fishing. Now we work hard for the fish we catch. West end.   Largemouth bass, sunfish, and bullheads have been caught very regularly on slip bobbers and leeches the last 15 years. I bet they also eat walleye fry. Could possibly be a part of the missing young of the year fish in the recent fall nettings. I did not hear how fall 2016 shook out.
    • BringAnExtension
      Nice catch Mitch.  Those are some well fed Northerns.
    • bowhuntingboy1
      Dang, well maybe next time. There's plenty more pictures to enter
    • MrSchrute
      We ended up going through Tom Wilson. Pretty good price for a weekend. Now we just need ice.   http://www.leechlakeicefishing.com/fishhouse.html