• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can The Upper 'Sippi Handle Increased Pressure?

Kevin Turner

Lets not turn this into a battle.....What say yee?

Here's my .02: 90% of the water 'tween Coon Rapids & St Cloud see little pressure....

I have noticed several areas close to public access' that are seeing moderate pressure. But, nothin' I would consider a threat to the fishery.

I think it can without a doubt, I catch several fish that show signs of being hooked before. As long as we all practice C&R I see no problem with us all sharing in the fun. My big concern is the pools above St. Cloud where the fisheries are literally unprotected from the butchers. Anyone who fishes smallies realizes how vulnerable they can be in the fall.

The fishing is tougher this summer, but from my limited experience on the Upper Miss (fishing the croix more this year ) this year all it appears the fish are much more scattered. I think our outlook on things will change drastically when we see the water temps start dipping around the 60F mark and the fish start piling into the deeper haunts.

One last note regarding this whole topic is I wish more folks would frown on the use of livebait unless folks are responsible enough to use circle hooks. These fish are so aggressive and your chances of gut hooking one are so great when you live bait em'

Good points, amen about the live bait!! I call for an all-out ban on live bait for smallies. Good luck with this one, right.

I think it can handle the fishing pressure. Because most are catch and release anglers. And most have trouble navigating the river with prop boats.

What I don't think it can handle is the endless pollution by the careless fisher people. Fishing line is all over on the shores where I fish. As well as cans, bait containers, old fire pits, ect... last night I even saw an old realestate sign. I couldn't get it out of the mud.

Lets try to keep it clean too!

Just my $.02

I've always wondered who would catch more fish between someone with a flyrod or someone casting. I catch alot of fish on the mississippi with my flyrod but do about the same when I'm casting. I'd like to see this onthejob2 and river rat in a challenge. I don't know how you'd score it either total fish or maybe combined wieght for the day. Let me know if this challenge will happen.

I dont think a flyrodder has a chance... I mean no disrespect... honestly if thats how you like to catchem go for it.... its better than live bait. If it were to happen it would be total inches of your best 5 fish for the day! a good daily total would be somwhere between 88-98" I usually come fairly close to this total but we all have off days.... this year theres been moe of those off days confused.gif.... I strongly believe it has to do with pressure, I dont think the river C&R or not can hold the pressure it currently gets, we've all seen lower totals of fish, fish with hook marks in em, about 60-70% of fish have fresh hook marks, probably higher around the landings and parks. One thing people absolutely have to do is pick up after themselves, I always come back with more junk in my boat then when I left! I have a area under my seat that all the junk gets thrown into then cleaned out after every trip. It really pisses me off to see discarded line, bait containers, and plastic bags laying on the banks or floating in the river. If you see someone doing these things speak up!!! Let em know that what there doing is not all right, and we as sportsman are not gonna put up with it!

Ok Im off my soap box

Good point about the hook marks. Some times I pinch the barb and count LDR's as catches. LDR's being Long distance release.

I also think debarbing hooks is important, especially trebles. The barbs really tear up the fishs' mouths.

I do think the river can handle the pressure as long as anglers conscious of what they are doing, and make an effort.

As mentioned before, circle hooks and going barbless.

As for the fall stack up, as I like to refer to it, we have a state wide C&R of ALL smallmouth bass from Sept. 11 to the end of the season.

You can thank the Smallmouth Alliance for that one. They fought to get it put on the books in the early 90's, and it's been in place ever since. Hopefully it will stay that way when I am old and grey.

Joe

Learn something new every day. C&R after 9/11. Good deal. Though I haven't killed a smallie on purpose in 20 years now. I too have noticed a large proportion of previously-hooked fish. Also noticed a lot of fish deep hooked on topwater flies recently, and I'm not a "let him take it" kind of guy. When they eat it, I strip-strike right away. Must be my flies, which perfectly imitate a block of foam with eyes and a marabou tail.

As to competition between fly and spin, alas, no contest. As a die hard fly guy, I'd have to yield. I can outfish myself with a tube or fluke 3 or 4 to one, and catch bigger fish too. Fly loses most of the time if you use the total inches/top five that's in vogue for club anglers now, and more power because it's a good honest fun way to compete without getting a bunch of patches on your jacket.

However--there's a better way. If you could measure the total "karma joy" per fish, flyrod wins every time. I caught maybe ten on spin the other night, but the three on the fly, including a husky 17 that ate a popper at dusk, handily defeated all the spin fish put together. Just my .02, but I'm right.

ice

Ice, not trying to rile anyone up... well maybe cool.gif.... but what are your fight times on the fly? Every fly fisherman Ive seen has taken a dam eternity to land any decent fish, as we all know this is wrotten for the fish, especially in the warm water we have had this summer. This is the reason.... well one of em anyway grin.gif That I stay away from the pussss.... errrrr I mean fly blush.gif

Just something to think about next time you longrodders are out......