Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin Turner

Can The Upper 'Sippi Handle Increased Pressure?

12 posts in this topic

Lets not turn this into a battle.....What say yee?

Here's my .02: 90% of the water 'tween Coon Rapids & St Cloud see little pressure....

I have noticed several areas close to public access' that are seeing moderate pressure. But, nothin' I would consider a threat to the fishery.

I think it can without a doubt, I catch several fish that show signs of being hooked before. As long as we all practice C&R I see no problem with us all sharing in the fun. My big concern is the pools above St. Cloud where the fisheries are literally unprotected from the butchers. Anyone who fishes smallies realizes how vulnerable they can be in the fall.

The fishing is tougher this summer, but from my limited experience on the Upper Miss (fishing the croix more this year ) this year all it appears the fish are much more scattered. I think our outlook on things will change drastically when we see the water temps start dipping around the 60F mark and the fish start piling into the deeper haunts.

One last note regarding this whole topic is I wish more folks would frown on the use of livebait unless folks are responsible enough to use circle hooks. These fish are so aggressive and your chances of gut hooking one are so great when you live bait em'

Good points, amen about the live bait!! I call for an all-out ban on live bait for smallies. Good luck with this one, right.

I think it can handle the fishing pressure. Because most are catch and release anglers. And most have trouble navigating the river with prop boats.

What I don't think it can handle is the endless pollution by the careless fisher people. Fishing line is all over on the shores where I fish. As well as cans, bait containers, old fire pits, ect... last night I even saw an old realestate sign. I couldn't get it out of the mud.

Lets try to keep it clean too!

Just my $.02

I've always wondered who would catch more fish between someone with a flyrod or someone casting. I catch alot of fish on the mississippi with my flyrod but do about the same when I'm casting. I'd like to see this onthejob2 and river rat in a challenge. I don't know how you'd score it either total fish or maybe combined wieght for the day. Let me know if this challenge will happen.

I dont think a flyrodder has a chance... I mean no disrespect... honestly if thats how you like to catchem go for it.... its better than live bait. If it were to happen it would be total inches of your best 5 fish for the day! a good daily total would be somwhere between 88-98" I usually come fairly close to this total but we all have off days.... this year theres been moe of those off days confused.gif.... I strongly believe it has to do with pressure, I dont think the river C&R or not can hold the pressure it currently gets, we've all seen lower totals of fish, fish with hook marks in em, about 60-70% of fish have fresh hook marks, probably higher around the landings and parks. One thing people absolutely have to do is pick up after themselves, I always come back with more junk in my boat then when I left! I have a area under my seat that all the junk gets thrown into then cleaned out after every trip. It really pisses me off to see discarded line, bait containers, and plastic bags laying on the banks or floating in the river. If you see someone doing these things speak up!!! Let em know that what there doing is not all right, and we as sportsman are not gonna put up with it!

Ok Im off my soap box

Good point about the hook marks. Some times I pinch the barb and count LDR's as catches. LDR's being Long distance release.

I also think debarbing hooks is important, especially trebles. The barbs really tear up the fishs' mouths.

Maybe the Sippi can, but I sure can't. tongue.gif

I do think the river can handle the pressure as long as anglers conscious of what they are doing, and make an effort.

As mentioned before, circle hooks and going barbless.

As for the fall stack up, as I like to refer to it, we have a state wide C&R of ALL smallmouth bass from Sept. 11 to the end of the season.

You can thank the Smallmouth Alliance for that one. They fought to get it put on the books in the early 90's, and it's been in place ever since. Hopefully it will stay that way when I am old and grey.

Joe

Learn something new every day. C&R after 9/11. Good deal. Though I haven't killed a smallie on purpose in 20 years now. I too have noticed a large proportion of previously-hooked fish. Also noticed a lot of fish deep hooked on topwater flies recently, and I'm not a "let him take it" kind of guy. When they eat it, I strip-strike right away. Must be my flies, which perfectly imitate a block of foam with eyes and a marabou tail.

As to competition between fly and spin, alas, no contest. As a die hard fly guy, I'd have to yield. I can outfish myself with a tube or fluke 3 or 4 to one, and catch bigger fish too. Fly loses most of the time if you use the total inches/top five that's in vogue for club anglers now, and more power because it's a good honest fun way to compete without getting a bunch of patches on your jacket.

However--there's a better way. If you could measure the total "karma joy" per fish, flyrod wins every time. I caught maybe ten on spin the other night, but the three on the fly, including a husky 17 that ate a popper at dusk, handily defeated all the spin fish put together. Just my .02, but I'm right.

ice

Ice, not trying to rile anyone up... well maybe cool.gif.... but what are your fight times on the fly? Every fly fisherman Ive seen has taken a dam eternity to land any decent fish, as we all know this is wrotten for the fish, especially in the warm water we have had this summer. This is the reason.... well one of em anyway grin.gif That I stay away from the pussss.... errrrr I mean fly blush.gif

Just something to think about next time you longrodders are out......

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• 750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.

• How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water. 

If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog. 

If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• ZachD
      750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.
    • MattL
      How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water.  If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog.  If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.
    • easyrider25
      Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?
    • MattL
      She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 
    • delcecchi
      Maybe that is how they can stay in business