Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SledNeck

Mossberg 505 youth model .410 .....opinions????

5 posts in this topic

Looking for a starter grouse shotgun for my 8 year old. Looks like the mossberg 505 youth .410 is the only one in a pump small enough for him, although he is bigger than the avg, 8 year old. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be afraid to move up to a 20 gage. He's going to out grow that .410 in no time. I just looked at the Mossbergs tonight and the 505 looks like a great gun. Remington also offers a great youth gun, but one thing I really liked about the Mossberg was the location of the safety. They also have a program to upgrade the gun as your kid gets older, not sure of all the particulars, but unless I come across a better deal, I'll be picking up that Mossberg in the next week or so.

are the 20 and the .410 the same weight? I thought about the 20 and thought that the .410 might be better for him to tote around on a 4 mile walk a little better than a 20. I'll admit im not a fan of mossbergs, but the remington youth is too big for him and the mossberg is just right size. I also like the safety position, its very easy for me to see if its on or off while hes carrying it.

For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents. A .410 is not a beginners shotgun, it's an experts gun. I am not the only one with that opinion. It is very difficult to shoot well with .410 due to the small amount of shot and the generally long thin shot pattern you get. You will be much better off getting him a 20 gauge. You will have less expensive ammunition, larger selection of loads and he will shoot better. Even better, get him a small .22. At 8 years old he really has not got the nuerological ability and coordination to reliably shoot birds in the air. By using a .22 he is limited to birds on the ground or in trees and will learn to take his time and make sure of his shot, especially with a single shot. The recoil will be a non factor and the noise is minimal reducing his chances of flinching. He will enjoy it far more. He will move slowly and learn to observe the woods rather than just walking and waiting for the explosion of a grouse and then wildly shooting with little chance of sucess. Frankly, I've killed more grouse with my .22 and my .308 than I have with my shotgun. It will also improve his deer hunting later if he chooses to do that. The number one thing in taking a child hunting is for the experience to be enjoyable. Remember, they tend to prefer to shoot more than kill and with a .22 you can always stop and plink. Cost is negligble and you both will have a very rewarding experience.

Have Fun, Be Safe

Okay. Got him the 870 youth junior 20 ga.

gat2.jpg

He likes it and is not too bad of a shot for an 8 year old.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• chaffmj

Posted

26 hunting dogs have been killed by wolves in NW Wisconsin this year? Wow!

• SpecialK

Posted

It's been dredged to 4'. The lake still has a sandbar. He did not dredge past the creek mouth

• leech~~

Posted

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there. :(

• easyrider25

Posted

Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

• papadarv

Posted

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own.

2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one.

http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/

• SpecialK

Posted

They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.

• the weather has not been good this past week either, but fishing was still do able. Pike island is a popular spot and I am sure you can find fish there. Gold is. would be worth a try as would the area around the wolf pack. We had 4 nice walleye today and a great fish fry tonight. Heading home in the morning for the season. so good luck

• I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes

• delcecchi

Posted

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

• chaffmj
      26 hunting dogs have been killed by wolves in NW Wisconsin this year? Wow!
    • SpecialK
      It's been dredged to 4'. The lake still has a sandbar. He did not dredge past the creek mouth
    • leech~~
      Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there.
    • easyrider25
      Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down!  This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset!