Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valv

Airjer, I need your help !!!!

11 posts in this topic

I thought it will never come the day I buy a Toyo.... Totota, Yotomota.....Tomoyota....... I cannot say it, I get a glob in my throat....

Anyway...I bought a '97 Rav-4 trying to "combat" the gas prices. It looks like a nice little SUV, do you have any hint or suggestion about this "monster" vehicle ?

Thanks

PS I still cannot say it without choking..... wink.gif

Val,

Try saying this one:

Hon- Hond- Honda.

I couldn't say it last month, so instead I'm saying Jeep again. smile.gif

Donda .....Londa.....Rhonda ( hey I remember her.... grin.gif)

Nope, net even this....

Thats funny!! Let me be the first to welcome you to the Toyota family grin.gif !!

I just rebuilt a 99 tonight at work. Here are the common problems. Struts, rear shocks, and rear shoes (either delaminate or crack or squeak when you press on the brake pedal) and occasionally you'll see a few leaky radiators. Every 90,000 (2.2 litre) you'll have to replace the timing belt, or just do what most people do and let it break around 120,000 (its a non interference engine so it won't hurt it - if its a 2.2 liter - I think thats the only engine they offer (for a couple of dollars more replace the water pump while you have it torn apart. Other than that they are a pretty bullet proof little vehicle and pretty easy to work on. Even the four wheel drives seem to hold up pretty well. We service quite a few and you rarely if ever see worn front end parts or drive train problems. the 2.2's are just about bullet proof unless you run them out of oil or overheat them (obviously).

By the way the one I worked on tonight racked up quite a tab. about $1,900. unfortunately nothing was ever taken care of when it needed to be. I replaced the front struts and rear shocks (all where leaking bad), rear brake service, rear diff service, tune-up (120k the electrodes where just about gone), fuel filter, trans flush, air filter, tire repair, rotate, alignment, timing belt, water pump, coolant flush, oil change and three bulbs. Most of this stuff is just routine service items that where just never done.

Good luck with yours. It should be a good, reliable little SUV for you.

Thanks Airjer, I think this will work great, so far it runs smooth, it needs tires and I will give it a complete tuneup.

Do you know what oil it takes in the differentials and transmission fluid type (I assume Dextron), it didn't come with a user manual.

If it does 25mpg as promised, I'll be very happy.

Check the timing cover. most of these take a dual electrode Spark plug. If it shows it on the timing cover then use them. NGK is the only spark plug that belongs in there!!!!!!!! The part number is 3452 and they will set you back about $7 each. (on the plus side the will last for the 120k maintenance interval verses a standard plug that has to be replaced every 30 - 40k)

Here are the fluid specs for you

Automatic Transmission Fluid

DEXRON II or DEXRON III ATF

FWD Drain and Refill - 3.5 QTS.

Toyota ATF Type T or equivalent

AWD Drain and Refill - 3.5 QTS.

Differential Fluid

Hypoid gear oil API GL-5; Recommended viscosity: SAE 90 (Above 0Deg.F), 80W-90 or 80 (Below 0Deg.F)

AWD Rear - 1 QTS.

Engine Oil

SAE 5W-30 (Preferred) (Below -20Deg.F to 100Deg.F), 10W-30 (Above 0Deg.F)

Drain and Refill,w/Filter - 4.3 QTS.

Drain and Refill,w/o Filter - 4.1 QTS.

Manual Transmission Fluid

Hypoid gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5; Recommended viscosity: SAE 75W-90

FWD - 4.1 QTS.

Hypoid gear oil API GL-5; Recommended viscosity: SAE 75W-90 AWD - 5.3 QTS.

Power Steering Fluid

DEXRON II or DEXRON III ATF

- Check and Refill

Transfer Case Fluid

Hypoid gear oil API GL-5; Recommended viscosity: SAE 75W-90

AWD,Automatic Trans - 0.7 QTS.

Tranny fluid is dextron 2 or 3.....3 1/2 QTS....

Differential fluid: Hypoid Gear Oil API GL-5 Recomended viscosity: SAE 75W-90.....1 QT....

Engine Oil capacity is 4.3 QTS. with filter.

Transfer case is Hypoid Gear Oil API GL-5 Recomended viscosity: SAE 75W-90... .7 QTS volume

I knew AJ was going to beat me.... grin.gif....Mitchell at work huh?

Pier, you turn wrenches?

Nope....best friend does "owner operator" I do have Mitchell 5 though... grin.gif

Thanks for your continued help it's greatly appreciated by our members.... grin.gif

Its a 2.0 not a 2.2. There I got it straight now!! grin.gif