Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3 Muskies 45+++++ in One day!!!!!

1 post in this topic

I'm not a muskie fisherman. I don't have a single muskie rod or reel. I don't own a muskie lure and I can't say for sure if I ever will. While fishing Shamineau on Saturday, all of that may have changed. While working a shoreline for bass, we came to a shaded sandy/rubble stretch of shoreline. My fishing partner noticed what he thought was a large fish in about 1-2FOW. We turned around and preceded in to get a closer look. We came upon, not one but TWO huge muskies. I have a tape in my boat and was able to stretch it out over the fish, that is how close we got. The tape is only 40" long and I would say the fish were about a foot longer than the tape. Taking into cosideration the water magnifying the fish, and not be directly over the top of the fish I can comfortably say they were over 45". We were amazed at what we saw and that they weren't spooked. We backed off and preceded to throw a large daredevil towards them to see if they would bite. Like I said before, I am not a muskie fisherman, nor do I have any tackle or am I knowledgeable about methods to catch them. I was the biggest lure we had and we had one pole with braided line so we used that. After a couple fruitless casts, the muskies spooked. WOW! I couldn't believe how jacked up I was over just seeing and being so close to those giant fish. We got to thinking and decided to cruise real close to shore to see if by chance there were any more muskies hanging out in the shade. About 30 yards down shore, there was another, about as big as the first two(didn't measure though), just laying there in a foot of water. We tried a couple casts and finally it took a swipe at the lure and ended up foul hooked just behind the head and the fight was on. Seeing that muskie thrasing in the shallow water as it took off for the deep stuff made me think I was watching TV. My partner was able to battle the fish for about 30 seconds before the line broke. WOW that was fun to watch on medium spinning gear. I never thought I would want to fish for muskies, I like more action myself, but man what a majestic and powerful fish. So if anyone catches a musky on Shamineau with a giant chart/with red diamonds daredevil attached to it, please take a photo and post so I can see what we had a shot at.

I now understand what all you muskie guys rave about!!!