Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jed

coming up to 3rd crow on 8/13

3 posts in this topic

coming up to 3rd crow wing from 8/13-8/16. looking for any reports or advice. used to fish 2-3-4 alot in the 70's and 80's, but this is my first trip up in 10yrs and i could probably use an update. thanks in advance.

walleyes are being caught on minnows and leeches on the hump and trolling cranks on the south east shore line. thats all ive got maybe some one else has more advise. Jonah

We returned on July 22nd from a week on 3rd. We didn't fish 4th at all, but fished 3rd the most and a little on 2nd. We had very good luck with bass, crappie, and northern, with a few walleye.

Most of the bass were on plastic worms and spinnerbaits and some topwater baits. The last morning, my cousin boated 2 that pushed 5 lbs each. We fished mostly the islands and weedbeds on 3rd, then down the end of 2nd as it enters the river to go to 1st.

Crappie and bluegills we found on the southeast shore near the reeds and around the small island in about 8 to 12 feet of water with minnows and small jigs. We fished a lot for these since the entire family was on vacation.

We caught more northerns than usual - trolling cranks or minnows or leaches around the islands and the points on the south end. Largest was around 31 inches or so. One HOT afternoon may father and I boated 3 in about an hour, all between 24 and 28 inches, with several others that didn't make it to the boat. He went back out a little later and caught a couple more. We started walleye fishing, but the northerns kept biting the line, so we switched tactics a little and had a good afternoon. Walleye action was slow. Temps were in the upper 90s to start the weekend, then cooled some the rest of the week. We didn't target walleyes much as a result.

Coming back in the end of September for 3 or 4 days.