• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

dead down wind

OrionsX0

Has anyone ever used it? Is it worth the money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I personally dont use any of the wash products for your clothes.My wife washes my clothes with out soap and then I will place my clothes in a bag of leaves from the area that I hunt in a bag and let them soak up that smell of the area.Another thing I will do while walking to my stand if there are cattle in the area is to walk through the cattle dung and get it on my boots to help reduce my scent from my boots.I have no idea if this works as only the deer would know.I just try to reduce my scent as much as I can.

One can also let your clothes sit outside for a few days to reduce any household scent they pick up while hanging around.Dont use scented soap while you hunt or hair shampoo,after shave or anything that has a scent to it.This will also help reduce your scent from your body.You can even take it to the point where you watch what you eat during hunting season to help reduce the odor that your body releases.Probably the most important thing to do while hunting is to put the wind in your favor.

They always seem to come up with a new gimik to sell hunters to reduce scent.You can do alot yourself without spending alot of money.

I am not saying these products dont work,just that there are other ways to do the same thing.Some people will do all the good things and put there clothes on that were in the house while cooking food.Now you smell like a kitchen so what you did to your clothes wont matter.

What gets me about scent elimination in general is no matter how clean and scent free I am and how slow I walk to my tree stand in warm or cold weather with minimal cloathing on, I will be sweating big time by the time I am situated in the stand. Most of the time I am dripping sweat so I know the deer can smell the sweat!

I guess staying scent free all over your body helps as you walk to your stand at least, but I will be sweating for sure by the time I place an arrow on my bow rest. confused.gif

"I am not saying these products dont work,just that there are other ways to do the same thing.Some people will do all the good things and put there clothes on that were in the house while cooking food.Now you smell like a kitchen so what you did to your clothes wont matter."

Ditto. I wash everything in baking soda and water in the washer, hang the clothes out to dry, and then keep them in one of those giant ziplock storage bags with leaves and dirt. I wash the clothes after every 5-6 hunts but I am usually wearing a base layer underneath that gets washed more often.

Not sure if this helps all the time...but I spray myself down prior to walking in the woods...and then I'll give myself another spray over when I'm at or in my stand.

Can't hurt...so I do all I can to stay scent free. The clothes and boots in a giant container is a must!

fin! i have that problem too. some of the things i have done to help are; give yourself a little more time to get to your stand, and sneak/stalk in and stop once in a while to cool down. another thing i do is too keep all hunting clothes, and clean regular clothes in a plastic bag. then part way to the stand i will change.( i use a back pack to carry most of my stuff anyway.)

i spray my clothes with a scent eleminator,then hang them outside for a few day. then place them in a plastic bag with leaves etc. i hunt from the ground only!! and this has helped me over the years.

To avoid sweating so bad, carry most of your clothes to the stand and then put them on. Give yourself more time so you can stop and cool off. And get into better shape.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.