Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

My Boats first Laker

17 posts in this topic

I caught a Laker today (20") on the Sconni side today in 96' of water. I started trolling out from the Superior entry and as soon as it went down to 90 I had a knock down, then bam, hooked one. Got it landed, had another knock down when the wind picked up (and the waves) and I had to scoot for the south shore since I had my 4 year old with me. But hey, it was a great day on the water...a nice Laker for my efforts PLUS I picked up a nice 18" eye on the troll home along the south shore. Drake had a blast and he loves to hear me say "get the net".

Good job on popping that boat's laker cherry. Now, for a really interesting experiment, if you fillet them both and fry them up like shore lunch you can taste one of the best fish in fresh water (laker) and one of the most overrated fish in fresh water (walleye) side by side.

Ooops, did I start that old argument up again? smirk.gif

Do I detect a frustrated walleye angler? Its ok Steve, I'll help you improve your walleye skils if you help me with the lakers. smirk.gif

HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks, I plan on eating both of them tomorrow evening.

Steve dont be hating on my eyes! wink.gif

We all know the fish taste best in this order.

1) Muskie

2) Large mouth bass

3) Small mouth Bass

4) Steelheads under about 20"

5) St.Louis River Sturgion grin.gif

Really though eyes, Crappie, Perch and Gills only taste like the breading you put them in. Unlike those oily trout and salmon. As far as smoked there is few that are better though. Yummy! tongue.gif

Wade, congrads on the laker today. Pretty soon thats all you will want to do is troll the big lake and your boats will keep getting bigger wink.gif Guess you didnt need me to take ya out and show you how its done. You figured it out all on your own grin.gif

I'll still take a lesson or two. As my Dad says, "Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in awhile".

Wade ,,,so now that you have a better idea about what to do on the big pond ,,,will You take your dad out there when he comes to visit ????

Good job on the laker smile.gif ,,it wont be the last shocked.gif

Randoid

Wade I just reread your post. Please tel me your 4 year old has a lifevest on at all times. I wont tel ya what to do but I would hate to hear that something happened to him out there. 4 years old seems young to be on the big lake in a small boat. Just my opinion and you know what they say about them. Congrtas on the fish.

Steve you fishing tomorrow? Something about a 20-30mph nw wind scared all my fishing buddies away. I havent been on the pond for 2 weeks going on 3 by next weekend. I can just feel this summer slipping away.

Im not sure yet. I have to see what happens. If I do it will be in the afternoon.

Congrats Wade,

I just want to know one thing... Did you cacth your first Laker on my lucky yellow rod? If not what was your set-up?

Again Congrats!!!!

Tom (BD11)

Steve, Lakers taste better than Walleye? Please get the professional help you so sorely need!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

Yes Steve, he has it on at all times, A) because the law in Sconni says anyone under 13 has to wear one at all times, B) because Its a small peice of mind for me.

He loves to go fishing and knows the drill, no life jacket, no fishing.

To put your mind at ease..if the waves are over 1' I don't take him out, thats why we ran for shore when the wind picked up.

Loonasea...yeah, I will take my Dad out....Just wondering when your gonna get your butt out there. Your boats bigger than mine.

Tom...I didn't get that rod, I think Randoid still has it. Set up? I was pulling a silver spoon with red tape on it at 80 ft on the port side downrigger heading due east at 2.2 mph. The spoon was 8ft behind the release, I was pulling a purple and silver spoon on the starboard rigger 8 ft behind the release at 88 ft. I had the radio playing and If I remember correctly I think "Honky Tonk Bedonka Donk" was playing. I don't rememeber what station I had it on, sorry. ALl the hits I had were on the silver/red spoon.

I think I am gonna hit minnesueing today for some more Crappies.

Ran, we need to get together one of these weekends... NEIGHBOR

Wade

I was considering putting downriggers on my boat with the winnings from the Hawg Walleye Hunt ,,,But it just doesnt make much sense to put them on a tiller boat,,(unless I take my wife out with me ,,then she can sit on my lap and set the lines),,,and if I do hit the big pond it will be boards and dipsies in my boat

If You are looking for spoons I was thinking of firing up my air brush and painting a few spoons with some of the colors Ive heard are working out there ,,,Ill have to get to walmart and buy some fingernail polish in some exotic colors and start to experiment

Randoid

Sounds like a plan Randoid. I only have about 4 spoons right now, need to get more....

Northlander, I reckon Great Outdoors was jabbin at me, not you. grin.gif

Ya I guess I read too fast Steve. Last day at work til 11pm before 12 days of vacation and I think my mind was wondering in a million places. Thanks Ill rid my post.