• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Ice reports? Has it frozen oveer yet?

Any guess on how soon we can get out there? cool.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• minneman

• ScottND

• Bison9

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently both were very much open on Tues night. Not sure about today, but if the wind will chill out and we could get a cold night, we'd be homefree in no time. However, I'm pretty certain neither is safe as of today (unless maybe you give it a shot with a boat!)

Scoot --

Thanks for the reply.

I am talking to a guy on the phone and he said Boyer and Little Floyd just re-froze.

He also said you make Ice during the day, when it is this cold.

Thoughts?

Some say around Zero we make at least and inch a night.

Do you believe that? confused.gif

As long as the top is not covered in a thick layer of snow to act as insulation and it stays cold, esp. single digits at night to teens during the day, then the ice should be forming quite fast. I think with the wind we had most of the snow on the lakes has blown to shore or made big drifts. Obviously at this time of year you will be walking around so avoid the spots where the drifts are deep since it insulates the ice there and it wont be as thick. Plus, near shore the ice will be thicker since that is what freezes up first. I'd say avoid the middle portions if you are concerned about thickness, wear a life jacket so you don't half to fight staying afloat if you went through, walk closer to shore since it is shallower if you choose not to wear the life jacket, and don't out go alone. These last 3 days and the next 6 should really get the ice thickening up fast. I can't wait to go out Saturday!!!! grin.gif

What times of the day has been the best for you guys to go out on BC, and how long does bite after sundown usually last. How has the perch fishing been lately?

tonight will be Big C's 3rd night of ice, havent been by Pelican lately but its usualy stiff before Big C.

A buddy and I are thinking about Big C on Sat. Are we just deluding ourselves to think that there will be enough ice for two people to sit in a portable? if there is ice, how far can a fella make it off of shore without having to worry about floating? If it would be foolish to try, what other area lakes do for sure have enough ice?

I would probably give Big C another week before you try it, unless you will be close to shore and not to close to deep water. Little Detroit has well over 5 inches and I would bet most of the small lakes around will be ATV accessible by the middle of next week. I've seen some snowmobiles pretty far out on Little D already.

Scoot, we'll be heading to Selkirk next Friday, any chance you can make it?

I'd love to go, but I'm stuck at home with a b-day part this Sat and I'm headed West to chase muleys and whitetails the following week.

What's the ice report from up there? Heard any fishing reports from Ryan yet? I'd imagine travel by foot is started or about to start.

I just talked to somebody that lives on the lake and she said the lake has been froze over for a few days.

It won't be long.

They've been fishing up there for almost two weeks now, should be plety of ice when we get there. It will be four of us making the trip. Hammerem' will be coming from Wisconsin, my buddy Noah, and Steel24. I'll for sure give a report and post some pictures when I get back.

Later,

Were gonna get some bigguns!!!

I can't wait for my 12 hour drive! But a Canadian 12lbs waldog is worth every mile!!

See ya Thursday

I drove past Big C this afternoon and saw a guy fishing the North End. I'm not sure I would want to venture out over the deep water yet but it won't be long.

I had -14 this morning in Hawley-wood. I would guess that will make some awesome ice on Big C and Pelican. It helps that there isn't a big snow cover.

So, how much ice will it make?

Do you guys think we are set for putting a big house w/ 4 wheelers this weekend?

It looks cold as heck through Friday, but then warming to 20s for the high on the weekend. cool.gif

Thoughts?

there were 3 portables set up on BC tonight, so I figured I better see what im missing out on. cut a hole 100 yds out, found between 4-5" of ice. perm's/wheelers by the weekend for sure if the cold stays.

Quote:

I drove past Big C this afternoon and saw a guy fishing the North End. I'm not sure I would want to venture out over the deep water yet but it won't be long.

That was me! It was 3.5" thick and the bite wasn't that good. What really suprised me is the snowmobile that came by 5' from the water coming out of the culvert!!

scott- i thought he was talking about you but wasn't sure! good to hear you made it out and back ok.

Hows it going everyone. I was just curious if anyone has any reports on Big C. I am sure the ice is thick enough now for portables. I am going to try it on wed. I will post any reports for anyone intrested.

I talked to a guy that was out on Pelican on Sunday. He said he has 4 inches of Ice and picked up one decent fish .

Hey Scott,

I hear you on the guy riding the sled. Sometimes people just have no common sense. A couple of year back I was in the process of putting a perm out on local lake with about 6-7" of ice when a couple of guys came across the lake with a truck and a smaller Perm in the back. That was scary. The ice was cracking and banging like you would not believe. They made it out and back but I was sure they were going to take a swim.

Does anyone have an ice report for Middle C.

Take it easy

Buddy and I were out on Pelican Fri nite (12.9). Ventured out from Zorbaz, ice started off 1ft thick and then got pretty thin as we moved south (5"). BTW, thin ice signs are setup around the culvert. We decided to head out from the SW access where quite a few houses were out already. Few 12 and 14 ft shanties were already out. Popped some holes from 20' - 24' and found about 6" of ice pretty consistently. Picked up 4 eyes round 4pm then it died at dusk. Good luck and be safe. cool.gif

ice_l0rd

Tried fishing Big C with no luck at all, everyone I talk to also had not luck. I went to pelican last night and my budy and I took home 12 nice walleyes. I also talked to a few people out there and they were also doing quit well. Good luck everyone, I thought I would share a bit of information with everyone.

Hey that sounds like a pretty good report walleyes12. I'm not going to ask you about specifics, but can you tell me if it's basically a twilight period bite or are you catching some during the day too?? I haven't ice fished on Pelican much but I know there can be a decent daytime bite during the open water season.

Big C on Sat was almost a bust. One 3# pike and thats it. marked alot of fish but nothing would commit. fished on the north end off the access right off the sand bar. if anyone finds a Berkley cherrywood ice rod attached to what i'm assuming to be a 9.5# walleye, please post and let me know. it was like watching that scene in Grumpy Old Men when he loses "The Green Hornet." hope others had better luck than we did that day.

The bite really picked up around 4:15, and was fairly steady till about 8:00 at night. Fatheads very close to the bottom was the key.

Big C Report --

Well I finally got out on Sunday. My buddy that I was fishing with did not help me out much -- he was very hung over.

I marked one fish till about 6:30 when I had one hit the rattle reel. Genz Glow jig was the trick. Shiner minnow.

I finished with zero fish, but two broke my line -- not kidding and one stole my bait. I don't think they were notherns -- I broke a big rule -- I left old line on my poles. I'll be fixing that.

Anyone else get any?