Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jigginjim

Mississippi river Boating

Question

jigginjim

I have lived in Buffalo 2+ years how. Have been wanting to fish the Mississpi r. around monticello from a boat.

I would to find someone who fishes the river from a boat. Trying to learn it without trashing boat or motor.

Any help will be much appreciated. smile.gif

11 answers to this question

SluggoMaster

Hi Jim,

There are a couple of us here in Buffalo that make that run in a flat bottom with a prop. e-mail me at bassfishingnerd at yahoo DOT (Contact US Regarding This Word)

How safe it is is relative to the river depth. When it's high, it's not bad, but when it gets down to late summer, you need to watch out, since it's hard to get around anywhere then.

jigginjim

Sluggomaster, your e-mail looks like its missing a part. you can e-mail me at jigginjim@aol.com I also live in buffalo only a block and half from the fire station. Maybe we could hit the river some i'll bring all the minnows we need, if you want to use jig-minnow for walleyes.

thanks

jiggin jim

SluggoMaster

Hi Jim,

I'm not much for chasing the "mutant perch" but this weekend is looking pretty ugly anyway. I chase smallies on the river.

jigginjim

Sluggomaster, Smallies are a lot of fun to catch. I chase the mutant perch just for eating. Smallies are play fish, catch, play, photo the biggies, and release them to be caught another day.

dan2957

JigginJim,

I found a good Mutant population by accident yesterday, They dont like minnows though... you need a RATTLE TRAP, ORANGE. Those mutants are messin up my Smallie hole, Sluggomaster and I can help you catch them. I'm hoping for warm weather through December so you can thin the Mutant herd. I must warn you though, once you fish the river there is no going back. You may be Assimulated...

jigginjim

Thanks Dan, That sounds good, I would like to help thin the mutants so we can have more room for smallies. Can i reach this area from shore or with waders? My ranger can't float in the shallows of the river.

dan2957

I dont think I would try wading that part of the river right now. There are some deep holes. You are more that welcome to jump in the boat and do some fishing. I'm going to try and make a few more trips to the Monti section this year. I can't go this weekend because I'm going to get me a deer, but I hope to wet a line the following weekend.

madmax22

ive got some spots that can b fished 4 both mutants and smallies today i landed 5 muts and alot off bass

jigginjim

Dan, Good luck on your deer hunt. I decided not to go this year. I'm going fishing with my son. Last season i bagged my first buck, a dandy 10pt. now waiting for taxidermist to finish it. If you have an open seat let me know.

dan2957

Hey Hey jigginjim,

This weekends forecast is looking pretty good, I'm thinkin a river trip is a must. I think Sluggomaster is up for the trip too.... Email me a www.bassfishinfreak@bwig.net I'll give you my phone #.

Dan

jigginjim

well guys how the river bite going? I didn't go deer hunting this year, still paying for last years hunt. I see the river is almost down to normal. I would like to catch some smallies for a warmer-upper. May be some glow in the dark perch (walleyes) for a couple dinners. If the bite is real good, I can being my propane stove, and cook some a lunch break. grin.gif I was on pulaski today temp was 45. Buffalo was 38. Only got 1 bass and 5 small pike. released all.