Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Pig_sticka

Help choosing a gun!

Pig_sticka

I just recently got into shooting at a friends range, right now I have a really really cheap 410 (new england firearms).

What should a rookie shooter buy for a 22 or deer rifle?

Any brand names or types that aren't too expensive but are nice guns to practice?

Eventually I want to be able to use the gun to hunt with my friends.

Gissert

For .22 rifles, it is hard to go wrong with the good 'ol Ruger 10/22. Millions of happy Ruger owners out there.

I like the looks of the Henry lever .22 also.

Pig_sticka

Also any guns that would be very cool to shoot on a range, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Guns that would be at a fleet farm or gander?

tealitup

If you are looking for a gun just to practice with. Ruger 10/22 would be a nice choice. Cheap rounds for alot of shooting. You can still do some small game hunting with it - and everyone needs a .22 for the kids, plinking and cats (in Wisconsin).

SCUMFROG

870 Remington.

I have a combo, vented rib barrel and a deer slug barrel with a scope. very nice guns for the money.

YakHead

Ruger 10/22

almostthere!

Nothing beats a Ruger 10/22 in terms of quality and economy. Get a the stainless if you like me (lazy in the gun cleaning department).

For the deer rifle, get a Tikka. Go to cabela's. It's cheaper there.

Pig_sticka

Thanks,

I am going to check out the ruger on one of my off days, and also search around for the deer rifles.

Pig_sticka

I checked out the ruger at Fleet Farm, it looked very small.

It almost looked like a bb gun.

I am probably gonna get it but what is the next size up in rifles?

My buddy was talkin about a 30-06 but I am guessing those are very expensive.

Any ideas out there?

hanson

Pig_Sticka-

I've noticed a couple things you've mentioned that make ME think YOU should buy a Ruger 10/22.

1- You said inexpensive or reasonable. Ruger 10/22 fits that bill.

2- You want to shoot at a range. .22 caliber bullets are looking really inexpensive when shooting 100 rounds compared to a 30-06 or any other higher powered centerfire cartridge.

3- You said something COOL. Well, the Ruger 10/22 has many accessories available on the aftermarket to make it a 'cool' looking gun- synthetic folding style stocks, extra capacity magazines, flash suppressors, etc. Just flip to the gun section of a Cabelas catalog and you'll find the accessories I'm describing.

What kind of hunting do you want this gun to do for you in the future??

Pig_sticka

Hopefully go after grouse, or pheasants. I doubt I will ever do the deer hunt but the smaller game would be alot of fun.

I am a complete rookie for guns thats why I am asking the pros on here.

Would a trip to cabelas in the hunting department be the best option for buying the ruger?

The 30-06 would be if I wanted to get into the larger game eventually, which if my best buddy wanted me to go with him one year I can use that.

hanson

If you are hoping to shoot Grouse & Pheasants, I would look into a 20 gauge or 12 gauge shotgun. You can still go and shoot trap with it to practice up in the off season.

I would personally recommend a Remington Express as a good 'bang for the buck' type of shotgun.

As a very general, loose rule of thumb... If you plan on hunting birds, get a shotgun. If you plan on hunting animals, get a rifle of some kind.

For Deer, a 30-06 is a very good choice along with others but a 30-06 is a traditional deer gun.

For Squirrels & Rabbits, a .22 would be what you want to use.

For Fox & Coyote, you'll need a rifle somewhere in between the 2 I've just mentioned.

A trip to the Cabelas or Gander Mt. gun dept. would answer a lot of questions for you.

You also said you are a "complete rookie for guns" so I'd recommend enrolling in Firearms Safety Training if you haven't taken that already.

Pig_sticka

Thanks hanson,

I appreciate the input, gun saftey is on its way. I never had a want to go hunting when I was younger but now I am starting to get into it. I think it is the outdoors in me that makes it so interesting.

I have heard of the online gun saftey I might check that out.

hanson

Quote:

I think it is the outdoors in me that makes it so interesting.

I totally agree!!! I shot my very first Turkey ever this morning. I've hunted grouse, ducks, geese, and deer in the past but never turkeys. I just love the outdoors and this was a great way to get out and hunt something in the spring.

Check out the 'Stories from the Hunt' thread in the Turkey forum for my first successful gobbler hunt!!

koWALLEYEski

way to go on the turkey hunt! i want to try it with a bow.

USPENAMC

Just to let you know Wal Mart also has some descently priced guns from 22s, shotguns, to deer rifles, some deer rifles come equiped with scopes already, you might want to check those out.

USPENAMC

another thing would be when you go to the range or wherever it is you practice shooting to borrow your friends different weapons and see what you like and are comfortable with for example

shotguns 410 has less kickback and then is 20 gauge then the 12 gauge and the one with the most kick would be the 10 gauge you have to be comfortable and not scared of the recoil so which ever is comfortable for you and in your budget...my 2 cents... some local firing ranges let you rent out different types of weapons so you can experiment also

Pig_sticka

I just purchased the ruger 10/22 and now it just has to stop raining for the rest of today.

Thanks for all the help on here.

Is the scope worth getting after a while, or is it better without?

Gissert

If it was my gun, I'd get a good quality scope on it.

almostthere!

Congrats on the purchase. You will have to get a scope on it to really appreciate the hunt. Those bushytails are extremely hard to see among the leafs and twigs.

BSA and Simons make some decent cheap scopes to compliment your Ruger. Make sure you buy a variable power scope. You will have to zoom in to make those long shots a little more comfortable.

If you want consistant accuracy, try the CCI solid bullets. Hollow points are sporadic at best. Remington, Winchester, and Federal tends to jam.

A Tikka T3 in 30-06 will fit your needs for a deer rifle.

Have fun with your new rifle.

tripper

I never had scopes on my rifles until the eyes started getting tired. I would say learn to shoot profiecently with the iron sights first and then decide if you want a scope. That way if some day down the road you have to use a rifle with iron sights you will know you have the the ability to do so.

irvingdog
Tripper gives rock-solid advise.....

tealitup

Agreed with Tripper - shoot without the scope first. Buy a scope later on after you take a gun saftey course. Can not stress the gun saftey. After almost 20 years of hunting I still can recall items that were brought up in gun saftey.

You will be glad you took the class; your hunting partners will be happy; and me, as the other man in the woods, will be very happy.

Pig_sticka

There are no gun saftey classes even near White Bear Lake mad.gif

I might have to try and take one out in Coon Rapids or Maple Grove.

I dont know much about doing the online gun saftey.

The ruger worked good, I just went out and purchased the 50 shell holder for it. I dont know how much I need it or how good it will work but I figure it might save alittle time when target practicing.

fish-n-geek

The firearms safety is an excellent idea, even when you don't legally have to take it.

As for buying guns, the best place I've found is a DNR auction, if you can wait for one. Last one I hit had over three hundred deer rifles. Picked up a Remington 30-06 pump with a 3-9x scope for $80. Also picked up a 12ga at a farm auction last fall. It is considerably more solid a gun than the "new" version you find in the store now.

Still can't beat the OLD remington .22 pumps either (just watch the tube feed jam) I haven't found a more accurate gun. The ruger is a good gun as well. Just don't ever buy a Marlin...

-r-