• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys- I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any positions around the area for a soon to be graduated UMD business management major. It's been kind of slow going for me so far and if you have any "hot tips" for a fellow outdoorsman it would be much appreciated. I'll also keep my eye on the job ops. thread.

Thanks, Cameron

What kind of mgmt degree will you have from umdy dumbdy?

I grad-u-mum-tated from there ya know. grin.gif

I will have a Organizational Behavior Management degree... What did you want to be (graduate with) when you grew up???

Cameron McDonalds on London Road is hiring. grin.gif

Seriously good luck finding a job in your field in Duluth. I hope you can and get to stay around "Gods Country". I hate to see young guys like yourself having to move to the Twin Cities and elsewhere to get a decent job in their field!

The last time I graduated from college (assoc. degree)(and I ain't really young either) I wound up moving further north to find a decent job(used to live in Duluth), never figured that would happen. I really figured that if I couldn't find something in Duluth I would be metro bound. Strange how somethings work cool.gif

lol- thanks Northlander, I'll have to look into mcdonalds, maybe there is a possible career position for me there. I already told myself that I am going to stay out of the cities, I never grew up there and I don't want to ever live there. I think I'm going to try to tough it out and find something in the area. grin.gif

Good luck finding a job up here smile.gif

I got lucky after i graduated - but high paying jobs are very scarce around here...

The job I landed just kind of happened by chance. It allowed me to enjoy Duluth for 4 more years!

Good luck to you, not a lot of opportunity, but then again if you fall at the right place and right time you just might land yourself a job.

I think this is quite the interesting topic... being that I am the only one of my college friends that stayed in town. It seems that the city doesn't do much to keep it's college students in town. Everyone comes here, goes to school, then leaves. I wonder what can be done?

My son is a freshman at UMD. Doesn't quite know what he wants to do. He writes music plays guitar at some of the restaurants in town. I told him I hope he makes it big so he can pay me back after 12 years of private schooling. smile.gif

He renting a house in Duluth this June and will also be looking for a job. I'll pass this on to him in case he runs across something that might be up your alley.

Terry Hagstrom

Terry's Guide Service

www.fishingmn.com/terry

My brother is a manager/supervisor at Cirrus, and I know a million others that work there. I'm not sure if they are hiring in your field, but if you want you can email me and maybe I can help you out. [email protected]

Andy

Good luck tcumd. I am attending UMD right now too, but I won't graduate for at least a year and a half. And I'm still a little scared thinking about finding a job after college.

Hey guys- thanks for the encouraging words. What does Cirus do? I will email you to get some info today. I think i am the only one of my buddies that plans on staying in the area after school also...soo sad. Thanks, Cameron

Cirrus builds planes. The do have a website, I would try to google cirrusdesign and you should find their site.

It can take a bit of a financial sacrifice to live up here in God's Country. I went back to the cities for 6 anguished months before scrambling back up here. I felt lucky to find a low paying job in Duluth. After four years I am on the job hunt as well. If we're lucky there is something that fits our needs and values in life. Good luck, fellas.

Left a good job in the city,

Workin' for The Man ev'ry night and day,

bet I never lost one minute of sleepin',

Worryin' 'bout the way things might have been.

I gotta agree with all of you, growing up "up north" and then moving to the cities to works su cks. mad.gif Once I got my real estate license, I spent 3 months working (if that is what you call it when you live with college kids) in the big market of st. cloud to realize I don't like big cities and I gladly moved back up here to work for a company in northern Minnesota. IMO it is truly the better life.

Ryan

I graduated from St. Cloud State and ended up moving up here a couple years after that. I work in the IT field, and it really is frustrating. Somehow we still have to pay high rent, but we make 10-15K less here than in St. Cloud. There is a lot more money in the cities, but traffic sucks, haha. And, whoever said that Duluth doesn't keep its students here is right. No one can afford to work up here. I really don't understand it.

No doubt about it the job market in Duluth is not a good one, especially for IT people. I had to move to find decent paying work in the computer/networking field, just didn't figure it would be further north.

The reason the pay is so bad is there a alot of folks looking for the same job and they can pay people less cuz people would rather live in Duluth than in the Twin Cites. Supply and demand, low number of jobs and lots of people applying = low pay frown.gif And it seems that people don't really want to live up here either, we just hired a IT tech person about 7 months back and we had less than 5 people apply. Go figure!

run-n-gun - I hear you. I am also in the IT field in Duluth and if I didn't have this job I am scared I wouldnt be in town.